Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

How can I become an Optometrists assistant Im already a medical

How can I become an Optometrists assistant? I'm already a medical assistant but I have no training as a MA. I have been out of schhol for more than six years. Is there specific courses I have to take? Is it under the degree of a MA?
Hello Customer, and welcome back to Just Answer!

Just as you were trained on the job to be an MA, optometrist's assistants typically also receive on the job training; however there are certifications in this field, and optometrists and ophthalmologists look more favorably upon those who have the formal training, to work in their offices.

Many vocational schools and community colleges offer programs in optometric assisting, and they typically take between six months and two years to complete, depending on which program you choose.

You can see an overview of some of the courses offered, below and also schools that have programs in this field.:
http://education-portal.com/optometrist_assistant_courses.html

Because you already have experience as an MA, this should be helpful if you decide to pursue the field of optometric assisting.

I wish you much good luck in your future educational endeavors!

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback will also be greatly appreciated.

If you need any additional information please click 'Reply''. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX New Year!
Cher