Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

What is the rule about putting Sterling Silver flatware in

What is the rule about putting Sterling Silver flatware in the dishwasher? I never have, but then I have started hearing about it being ok. I think it is not supposed to touch a non-sterling item. Can you help?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello again Customer, and welcome back to Just Answer.

What you heard is correct: You can put sterling silver in the dishwashwer, but repeated washings can make pieces look worn, quickly. You will preserve the look of your sterling if you hand wash, immediately after use, and then, dry with a soft cloth. If you do choose to wash your sterling silver in the dishwasher, use only about one tablespoon of dishwasher detergent (don't use lemon-scented detergent) and do not wash non-sterling (stainless steel) flatware at the same time. A chemical reaction between the two metals can cause discoloration of the sterling.

Here are more helpful tips on how best to care for your sterling silver flatware:

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback will also be greatly appreciated.

If you need any additional information please click 'Reply''. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX New Year!

Edited by Cher on 1/2/2011 at 5:42 AM EST