Family Physician, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Researching answers to questions online for 20+ years.
Type Your Question Here...

My father past away just the other day. I remember that years

My father past away just the other day. I remember that years ago he had purchased a life insurance policy. We have looked for the policy and can not find it is there anyway to find out who he had it through.
Category: General
Expert:  Family Physician replied 5 years ago.
Assuming that he was still making regular premium payments, you could review his checking account (or credit card) for payments.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The policy he had was one that you paid on for so many months. then it was payed in full and you didn,t have to pay any more. He had it for many years so there is not any check stubs.
The other option is the policy locater service from the Medical Information Bureau - which has information on policies dating from 1996
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He had the policy before 1996 so that web cite won,t help.
Another possible source of information would be past income tax returns, if the policy paid dividends, it would should have been included in his tax return.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry it payed no dividens. If I remember right it built a cash value and that made the payments on the policy.
Unfortunately, there isn't a central agency or database that records life insurance policies.

The appropriate state unclaimed property administrator is another option.

Your last option would be to send letters to insurance companies operating in the state at the time the policy may have been purchased. There likely are hundreds of companies (the state insurance department could assist you by providing a list), but this "shotgun" approach may be your only option.