Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

Dear Sir/ Maam, I have a neighbour who has a giant cocos

Dear Sir/ Ma'am,

I have a neighbour who has a giant cocos or queen palm in his backyard that continually drops large seed and dead palm fronds onto my property. Over the last 5 years we have tried to reason with him over this to no avail. For example. we first offered to go halves in the cost to pull the thing down. His an was no and said feel free to throw the stuff back over my place. Why should be have to climb onto our patio and house roof clean it all up, throw it back over his fence. This is temporary as we would have to do it weekly. Our latest attempt, and because of our frustration I offered to pay for the whole cost of removal. We also said he could place any other plant he wishes there as long as it doesnt impact on our family by dropping things over our side of the fence. All discussions and been amicable, however I really am losing my patience. The council is useless and I personally do not want the expense of going to court. Hence, my question here today. Many thanks, Craig
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
Hello Craig, welcome to Just Answer. Can you tell me more about the way the palm is placed? Is it at 45 degrees over your property or just straight but really close. How close is it to the house (what bring stuff on the house, wind or just gravity)? how tall is the palm, what is the diameter of the trunk.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Martin,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. It is approx 750mm from my fence and is bent slightly towards my house, not 45 degrees, perhaps 15 to 20 though. Height is more than a telegraph pole. The wind direction and height combined is the main cause. The noise of the seeds continually dropping on our roof an patio is really unbelievable sometimes. The dead palm fronds an other leafy material also drops everywhere. I might add none of this debris ever lands on his own patio or house. I can get my hands on some pics if that would help explain better to you. cheers, Craig

Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
It will be really hard to completely solve the problem without going to court. The good thing is if the neighbour is friendly he may do or let you do the following: At flowering time, go cut all the flowers with a pruning saw (this should happen only once a year). It would not solve the palm leaf problem, but it would eliminate all the fruits. it's not an easy thing to do if it's that high and require safety equipment.

To prevent palm going on the roof, the only thing i could see is installing a net (like on golf course). And even this is not a sure bet and will be expensive.

It's common to have the right to cut branch getting over your property, but those are often municipal law (and i am not an Australian law specialist). To add to the complexity, those law often come with the condition that the tree must not be harmed. A palm is not really a tree (it's in reality a giant herb) and cutting the part trespassing is equivalent to kill the plant.

Try to find why he don't want to have it removed. Perhaps he just love trees and offering to buy him less problematic species would do the trick.

Edited by Martin on 12/22/2010 at 1:56 AM EST