Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

I am about to come into possession of a leather baby shoe that

Customer Question

I am about to come into possession of a leather baby shoe that belonged to my grandfather, probably dating to the early 1890s. What is the best way to preserve it and display it? thanks!
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Just Answer.

Conditioning: If the item is in good condition, keep it as it is, if it's already a bit stiff, you can apply a leather conditioner to it. You will then need to apply a UV protection coating to it.

Storage: as you ask for the "best" method, enclose it into an inert gas container (helium or nitrogen). Keep it away from direct sunlight and source of heat. In case you want to still be able to handle it and not have it in a glass container, you need to make sure it stay at constant humidity level, never under 25% never over 65% (a stable 50% will be good).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What sort of UV protection coating? I've heard shellac suggested. I want to display it - what sort of display case?
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
Shellac will change the original appearance, you probably want some thing less glossy. Any UV spray you will find at a place selling leather item (note that it's sometime already mixed to some conditioner). As for the display, look around for "showcase boxes". If you want to go the inert gas way, you could use an upside down screwing jar with a very clear bottom and put velvet in the bottom cover and around the cover itself (or hide the cover into a wooden base).