Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

What is the legal definiton of lab created dimond Also lab

What is the legal definiton of lab created dimond? Also lab grown? Are they the same meaning? Does Lab created specificly refer to Cubic Zirconia? Does Lab Grown specificly refer to Cubic Zirconia? Could a lab created dimond be a real dimond just grown in a lab insted of before mined out the ground? BotXXXXX XXXXXne Whats the legal definition of Lab Created and Lab Grown "dimond"?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

A 'lab created' diamond is one produced in a technological process and is different from a natural diamond, which is created in a geological process (mined). You can find the official definition and more information, here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lab_created_diamond

A cubic zirconia or "CZ" is the cubic crystalline form of zirconium dioxide. The resulting synthesized material is hard, visually flawless, and typically colorless, but may be manufactured in a variety of different colors. Due to it's inexpensive cost, durable wear, and very close appearance to a diamond, the synthetically made cubic zirconia has been the most economically and gemologically important competitor for real (mined) diamonds since the mid 1970's.

Lab created or lab grown diamonds are not the same as cubic zirconia. The following will provide more detailed information regarding the major differences:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5539695_created-diamonds-vs-cubic-zirconia.html

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback will also be greatly appreciated.

If you need any additional information please click 'Reply''. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!

Regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information. It was helpful, but not exactly what i was looking for. What im really trying to figure out is, if some one sold you a ring that said it was a lab created dimond would that not be refering to a man made dimond. Which has all the same properties as a real dimond. Becuase melecularly man made and "earth made" are the same. As you said CZ is not real dimond so would it be legal to say that its a lab created dimond, when CZ is not a lab created dimond?
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome.

Thanks for your patience, as I was offline when you replied.

A 'lab created/lab grown diamond' is made from the same material (carbon) as a real (mined) diamond, so yes, you are absolutely correct, that 'molecularly' they are the same. A CZ, on the other hand, is a 'synthetic' diamond, not made from the same material as a real diamond, so although it may also technically be created in a lab (because it wasn't created by nature), a CZ is made from crystalline zirconium dioxide and is typically not labeled as a 'lab grown' diamond.

If the ring you bought on eBay was called 'lab grown' or 'lab created', this term is typically used to refer to a diamond made from carbon, which undergoes the same process as a real, 'mined from the earth' diamond, except 'man' speeds up the process with intense heat and pressure and/or other processes, to create the finished product. If the ring was advertised as 'lab grown' but is a CZ, this is not made of the material that real diamonds are made of and will not appear or wear the same, over time. Initially, the CZ IS as sparkly and beautiful as the real diamond it is made to resemble; however, over time the stone becomes cloudy and the quality diminishes.

If the ring you received stated it is 'lab created' and it IS a CZ, it sounds like the seller was trying to represent the stone as something it technically isn't. If you were searching to buy a lab created diamond and not a CZ, you might want to ask for a refund, if you received a CZ.

I hope you were able to read the articles I included for you in my previous answer, so you can see the exact and detailed differences of each type of stone, as summarized above.

I hope this clarified the situation for you.

Regards,
Cher

Edited by Cher on 12/9/2010 at 7:04 PM EST