How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jesse Handel Your Own Question

Jesse Handel
Jesse Handel, Scientist
Category: Homework
Satisfied Customers: 264
Experience:  B.S. Degree Chem. & Bact. 7 yrs tax preparation.
Type Your Question Here...
Jesse Handel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a rental house which my daughter rents from me. She

Resolved Question:

I have a rental house which my daughter rents from me. She pays rent in the form of the Mortgage payment. I report those payments as rental income on my taxes. We have an agreement that any remodeling, facelifts, etc. she will pay for and when I sell the house I will repay her the expense of those items. Can I deduct any of those costs, such as a complete kitchen makeover, as expenses since I owe her for them?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  Jesse Handel replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for coming to Just Answer. We appreciate the opportunity to help you with your questions. Your payments to your daughter for home improvements will be treated by the IRS just the same as if you paid a contractor directly for them. The rule on home improvements is that if a home improvement is major enough to add to the price you receive for the house (such as a complete kitchen makeover), you will be allowed to add the cost of the home improvement to the amount that you originally paid for the house when you calculate the amount of profit you earned from the sale. An item that is considered maintenance and doesn't change the selling price of the home, such as a new roof, can't be deducted in any fashion. You need to ensure that you receive receipts from your daughter for contractors, labor, and materials paid for home improvements because the IRS may demand to see receipts proving the cost of the improvement and that it was actually performed.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you need more information or clarification of anything discussed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So I can deduct the amounts (receipts and invoices,etc.) in the year they were presented to me and to be paid at the time the house is sold?
Expert:  Jesse Handel replied 3 years ago.
Hello again. No, you will just keep all of the receipts and invoices and when you sell your house at sometime in the future you will have to figure out the amount you paid for the house originally, then you will add in the amounts from the receipts and invoices for the home improvements, and then you will deduct that amount from the amount you received from selling the house. That will determine how much profit you made from the house and how much tax you have to pay on the profit or if you have to pay any profit at all. You won't really deduct the home improvements like you deduct other expenses, you just use it to increase the price you originally paid for the house so that the amount you earned from the sale goes down.
Jesse Handel, Scientist
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 264
Experience: B.S. Degree Chem. & Bact. 7 yrs tax preparation.
Jesse Handel and 79 other General Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Last | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Manal Elkhoshkhany


    Satisfied Customers:

    More than 5000 online tutoring sessions.
< Last | Next >
  • Manal Elkhoshkhany's Avatar

    Manal Elkhoshkhany


    Satisfied Customers:

    More than 5000 online tutoring sessions.
  • LogicPro's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Expert in Java C++ C C# VB Javascript Design SQL HTML
  • Linda_us's Avatar


    Finance, Accounts & Homework Tutor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Post Graduate Diploma in Management (MBA)
  • Chris M.'s Avatar

    Chris M.

    M.S.W. Social Work

    Satisfied Customers:

    Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
  • F. Naz's Avatar

    F. Naz

    Chartered Accountant

    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience with chartered accountancy
  • Bizhelp's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Bachelors Degree and CPA with Accounting work experience
  • Seanna's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    3,000+ satisfied customers, all topics, A+ work

Related General Questions

Chat Now With An Expert
Jesse Handel
Jesse Handel
264 Satisfied Customers
B.S. Degree Chem. & Bact. 7 yrs tax preparation.