A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

I am interested in a family crest for our family. Our name

I am interested in a family crest for our family. Our name is XXXXX XXXXX in the obvious website registries. What does this mean? That we don't have a family crest? Some websites offer to do research - what does this mean - what does the research entail? Any specific ideas/solutions for me? I've ALREADY TRIED at least 7 online websites to search for our surname and it is not in any of them.
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Despite what those sites online tell you, a crest belong only to direct descendants of the man who originally earned it. Just because someone's name is "Stratford" for instance, doesn't mean that they are entitled to use any heraldic devices issued to the original owner. All the "research" sold online entails is looking to see if someone of the same surname has ever been issued a crest, coat of arms, etc. It has no meaning.

To determine if you are entitled to use such a device, you should contact a certified genealogist who can trace your ancestors (hopefully) back far enough to determine if your direct ancestor actually had a crest.