Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

I am making a felt Christmas stocking for my granddaughter.

I am making a felt Christmas stocking for my granddaughter. I would like to embroider her name on the top, but I don't know how to mark the felt to be able to do that. I have written her name on a piece of paper and would like to know how to transfer it to the felt.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

A good way to transfer your granddaughter's name to the stocking is to use tissue paper specifically used for transfering (found at your craft or sewing store) or you can also use regular tissue paper like the kind you use for wrapping. Carefully (gently) write her name on the tissue paper with a fine tipped marker, then baste/sew over it on your machine with plain white sewing thread. After this process, you will remove the tissue paper gently, so as not to rip out the basted stitches, (use tweezers for any stubborn small pieces which remain), and then your granddaughter's name will be transferred to the stocking and you can embroider it as you wish, pulling out the plain white thread, afterwards. You will find more detailed information, here:

I hope it comes out great!

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback will also be greatly appreciated.

If you need any additional information please click 'Reply''. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!

Edited by Cher on 12/7/2010 at 9:58 PM EST