Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

Hi I have two bags of raw uncut, unpolished semi preciois stones-rubies,

Hi I have two bags of raw uncut, unpolished semi preciois stones-rubies, and emeralds. Where can I take these to sell them, or if I wanted to see about the quality and so forth where do I take these? A lapididary perhaps, any ideas would be appreciated. Thanx Rochelle
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
Hello Rochelle, welcome to Just Answer. That is weird, a good lapidary should be able to tell you about this. What you can do is look for gemological laboratory close to you (also known as gem lab). Note that many ones on the internet may be elaborate scam, so you better ensure they are a real company first before sending the gem to them (the best is to go there in person). A classic lapidary will give you a good ballpark value and the type of cut that could be made, a lab will tell you with precision (spectrograph) the quantity of Impurities present and they will be able to optically test them for fissures.