Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

What is the best way to cook Muscovy Duck

Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Is the duck young or is it an older duck?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not sure , it is domestically bred ,and still running around the farm
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. In general, the best way to cook Muscovy is by roasting. These ducks have lean flesh and if cooked until they're well-done, the meat tends to be too dry. They taste best if roasted at 475*F, for 11 to 15 minutes per pound If you prefer a more well-done roast duck, cook for as long as 20 minutes per pound. Regardless of how long you cook, be sure to baste often to preserve the moistness of the meat. It can also help to cover with foil in between basting until the last 20 minutes of cooking. This will give you a nice basic roast duck.

If you prefer a more complicated method, this site has a recipe that includes vegetables and fruits:

If the duck is older and has been running around the farm for a year or more, it will have built up muscles. The meat will be even dryer and less tender. In that case, you may prefer to cover it with water in a pot and cook it until it's tender. You can use the broth to make gravy or add vegetables or pasta to it.

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you enjoy your duck.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)