Lucy
Lucy, Mensa Member
Experience:  Expert Internet Researcher and Trivia Master
26798026
Type Your Question Here...

I am trying to find an Ann Landers column about drunk driv

I am trying to find an Ann Landers column about drunk driving. It was written from the perspective of a teen who was killed in a crash and was witnessing the end of his life. He was desperate to go back and he could not. He panicked at the thought of not sharing his life with others.

Category: General
Expert:  Lucy replied 4 years ago.

Lucy :

This sounds like the column that you're talking to, although it doesn't mention drunk driving. It's more about the dangers of driving recklessly. Is this it?
http://www.janice142.com/JoyPage/Only17.htm

Customer:

Customer:

Yes, this is it! Thank you! Will I be able to access on my computer after I leave the chat? Will the link still be there? I am not very computer saavy.

Lucy :

Yes. You can access it at any time through the "My Questions" link at the top or, if you want, I can paste the text.

Lucy :

I was not yet driving age when I first read that, but it's always stuck with me. It's very powerful.

Lucy :

- - - -

Please click "ACCEPT" so I get credit for helping you today. Feedback & bonuses are appreciated. This Answer is for informational purposes only – no attorney/client relationship is established. To request my help in the future, please put "For Lucy" in the subject of your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer:

I hope it keeps my daughter and her friends safe! So if you paste the text where does it appear? I know, you are rolling your eyes right now. I am really dating myself!

Lucy :

Not at all. I was waiting to see if you wanted me to paste it. :)

Lucy :

Please God, I'm Only 17 - the Dear Abby / Ann Landers heartbreaker....
written by John Berrio
The day I died was an ordinary school day. How I wish I had taken the bus. But I was too cool for the bus. I remember how I wheedled the car out of Mom. "Special favor," I pleaded. "All the kids drive."

When the 2:50 bell rang, I threw all my books in the locker. I was free until 8:40 tomorrow morning! I ran to the parking lot, excited at the thought of driving a car and being my own boss. Free!

It doesn't matter how the accident happened. I was goofing off -- going too fast -- taking crazy chances. But I was enjoying my freedom and having fun. The last thing I remember was passing an old lady who seemed to be going awfully slow. I heard the deafening crash and felt a terrible jolt. Glass and steel flew everywhere. My whole body seemed to be turning inside out. I heard myself scream.

Suddenly I awakened; it was very quiet. A police officer was standing over me. Then I saw a doctor. My body was mangled. I was saturated with blood. Pieces of jagged glass were sticking out all over. Strange that I couldn't feel anything.

Hey, don't pull that sheet over my head! I can't be dead. I'm only 17. I've got a date tonight. I'm supposed to grow up and have a wonderful life. I haven't lived yet. I can't be dead!

Later I was placed in a drawer. My folks had to identify me. Why did they have to see me like this? Why did I have to look at Mom's eyes when she faced the most terrible ordeal of her life? Dad suddenly looked like an old man. He told the man in charge, "Yes, he is my son."

The funeral was a weird experience. I saw all my relatives and friends walk toward the casket. They passed by, one by one, and looked at me with the saddest eyes I've ever seen. Some of my buddies were crying. A few of the girls touched my hand and sobbed as they walked away.

Please -- somebody -- wake me up! Get me out of here! I can't bear to see my mom and dad so broken up. My grandparents are so racked with grief they can hardly walk. My brothers and sisters are like zombies. They move like robots. In a daze, everybody. No one can believe this. And I can't believe it, either.

Please don't bury me! I'm not dead! I have a lot of living to do! I want to laugh and run again. I want to sing and dance. Please don't put me in the ground. I promise if you give me one more chance, God, I'll be the most careful driver in the whole world. All I want is one more chance!

Please, God, I'm only 17!

Customer:

Thanks! :-) So my daughter can now save this and print/email to others?

Lucy :

She can visit the link and print that, which might be easier, since it wouldn't be in a chat format. If you click Accept, you'll get this conversation in a format that can be printed.

Customer:

Okay...you're great! Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a lot of good tonight. I will bet that this article will impact a whole lot of kids, because I'm going to share it with the two high schools and all the parents I know. Take care!

Lucy :

You're welcome. I hope it helps. :)

Lucy, Mensa Member
Experience: Expert Internet Researcher and Trivia Master