Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

I have a weather question that I have been unable to find an

I have a weather question that I have been unable to find an answer to online.

It has been generally accepted wisdom with everyone I have known in the fishing industry that wind will increase on a coming tide and decrease on a going tide and also that if there is a change in the weather (good to bad or vice versa) it will occur at the time of either low or high tide, also the somewhat less well known saying that a NE snow storm will start snowing on a low tide.

This has been such a widely accepted ‘fact’ that I never questioned the physics of it until a friend who recently moved to the island asked me about it and I have been unable to come up with a plausible explanation for the phenomenon.

Everything I have found on line only discusses the fact that an onshore wind will increase the tide height which is so obvious that it really needs no explanation.

In case it's relevant I live on an island in Penobscot Bay Maine.
Hello, welcome to Just Answer. The wind you talk about it called a tidal wind. You can see it like "an air tsunami". The same way lifted part of the earth crust will cause a wave to rush into land, the lifting of the water (the tide) cause a rush of the air inland. When water goes away, the wind change of direction because an atmospheric depression is caused.

As for the snow, it may come from that depression and could also cause rain. When the pressure is high you can see very big amount of water in the sky (cloud) that can just float but all this fall in rain when the required atmospheric pressure go too low. Another factor that may cause snow on the cost is if the wind got charged with dust inland on high tide, then on low tide all this could help the formation of snow crystal.