Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

How do I tone down a spicy soup

How do I tone down a spicy soup?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hi, and welcome back to Just Answer.

You can add 2 or 3 peeled large potatoes, let it cook for about 1/2 hour, then remove and taste your soup. This should absorb a lot of the spice. You can also add additional diced potatoes, beans and tomatoes (or course, plain, with no added spice, if you're using canned). You can also water it down and/or make another batch without the spice packet and mix the two together.

Dairy products help to diminish the spice, so you can add some mik, plain yogurt or sour cream to the soup, but if you don't want to change the consistency or taste/color of it, after trying to decrease the spice with the potato, you can serve it with a dollop of yogurt of sour cream. Also, lemon peel is said to help eliminate spice (remove before service), as does honey or sugar, but taste so it's not too sweet.

I hope you are able to save your soup!

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback will also be greatly appreciated.

If you need any additional information please click 'Reply''. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!

Regards,
Cher