Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

Im a cyclist and have spent a lot of time riding in bike lanes

I'm a cyclist and have spent a lot of time riding in bike lanes where all the detritus that falls off cars usually ends up. I frequently notice a thin metal piece here and there about 1/8-1/4" wide, about 5-7" long, and maybe 1/16" thick. I usually notice more of these just before or after stop signs or stop lights. Are these from cars and if so, where on cars do they come from? Thanks for solving this mystery for me.
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I suspect what you see is this. Those are what compose street sweeper brush. The reason you find them there is because very often the drivers of those machines often bump the side of the road when turning. As those are made of a "spring" state metal they break easily.