How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxTom Your Own Question
TaxTom, Internet Researcher
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 2364
Experience:  Years of experience of finding questions for employeers, family and friends.
Type Your Question Here...
TaxTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i retired 6 months ago.i recieved a letter stateing from ssi

This answer was rated:

i retired 6 months ago.i recieved a letter stateing from ssi saying i quailified for pension 6 months later i got a letter from cbs corporation saying request a lump sum payment in 1989. i checked my 1989 return and i had worked in 1989, the only wages were 7110 for the whole year i received form my job. there was no 1099r form. i spoke to someone at cbs corp. they suggested that i get a lawyer.they have no proof that i signed or recieved any monies from them. i can't afford a lawyer.

TaxTom :

Hello, Clarification, is SSI turning down for the supplement because they say you have a pension from CBS? Thanks Tom

TaxTom and 41 other General Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
social security did not turn me down. cbs and you benifits center turned me down because they said i reqested a lump sum payment in 1989. i filed my taxes in 1989 i was working working that year. the only income i recieved that year was 7,110. the pension was not filed because i never requested a lump sum payment for pension. cbs told me to get a lawyer
Hello, Do they show you owe back taxes? Even if you were to have withdrawn money in 1989 I can't see how it could effect your SSI benefit today. Tom
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it is not effecting my ssi benefits. they won't give me my pension money because they claim i wrote them in 1989 requested a lump sum for my pension. i never got it. the claim i did get the pension in 1989. i do not owe any back taxes

Hello again, A couple of possibilities, First check the unclaimed money fund in the state and see if it was turned over to the state for inactivity. Second the IRS should be able to provide you with a copy of any 1099 filed with you Social Security number, check both 1989 and 1990. How much money do you think would be in the account? Can CBS provide you with the company who oversaw the pensions at that time? Thanks Tom