Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

A food plant is using a chlorine (200 ppm) spray as a disinfectant.

A food plant is using a chlorine (200 ppm) spray as a disinfectant. Machinery with black oxide finishes and zinc plating are rusting severly and discoloring. Can the chlorine spray be the cause of this? <br /> <br />MY EMAIL IS: <br />xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm sorry to see that no one has responded to your question earlier. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online and saw your question. I can't respond to your email because it has been xxx'd out. Just Answer policy doesn't allow email contact.

Studies have been done on the effects of chlorine disinfectants on medical equipment, which is similar to food processing equipment. The disinfectants did cause corrosion when used in concentrations greater than 500 ppm. At 200 ppm, such damage shouldn't occur. However, the discoloration could eb caused by the disinfectant. It's basically bleach, and bleach even in low concentrations causes color changes. As for the rust, it may be caused by something else in the disinfectant, or it may be unrelated. You can read more about chlorine and machinery by scrolling down on this site:

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)