Linda Roch
Linda Roch, Mensa Member
Experience:  I am a good researcher and I am a member of Mensa
Type Your Question Here...

My daughter is a senior in high school. She was told there

My daughter is a senior in high school. She was told there may be some scholarships for teenagers who have a deceased parent. Her dad died recently, and although I work full time, I will have 3 children I am helping through college this coming year. SO financially I am not sure how long I can keep funding, and am afraid for them to start out their lives with huge debt in these uncertain times.

She did a google search for scholarships for teens with a deceased parent, and several came up. However, is there a way to tell if a site is legitimate or if it is just a thinly veiled advertismenet for a college (she had accidentally found one of those when just looking for regular scholarships, who sent a steady stream of emails and phone messages. Also I do not want her info getting catalogued into a database for other types of advertisers.

How could we best do a search, and feel confiident that the refereals are trusted sources?
Category: General
Expert:  Linda Roch replied 3 years ago.

Linda Roch :

The school applications given at the high school are usually legitimate. In addition, a legitimate scholarship will never have any type of fee attached to it for applying. When going to the site of the scholarship, it will usually have an .org ending (although not always) but this is a good start. The main way to spot these is that they will most likely have applications to fill out and send and these will most likely include information on background and possibly some essay questions (rather than just providing a name and address).

Customer:

Linda -

Customer:

did you have more info- it states that you have some more info but it is not in the post at the moment.

Customer:

Did you apply for and recieve scholarships to get through college?

Linda Roch :

Yes, I went to college completely on scholarships

Linda Roch :

I don't think there is anymore information

Linda Roch :

I think you need to make sure that none of the proposed scholarships are making you pay

Linda Roch :

If they are just asking for an email, i would either create a different email address to use for this or risk it because the worst that could happen is spam mail but if the best is a scholarship, it's worth it

Linda Roch :

My best advice is to apply to all possible scholarships, even if you've never heard of them, on a local basis

Customer:

I guess I am hoping for someone who knows the system well. Especially as we are not low in-come, we are middle class, and it seems there is not a lot available for us generally

Linda Roch :

I remember I got scholarships from the rotary, from the daughters of the American revolution, etc.

Linda Roch :

I was middle class a swell

Linda Roch :

there is no system per se, it's a strategy of numbers

Linda Roch :

There are scholarships that nobody applies to because students feel they have no chance

Linda Roch :

She needs to apply for every scholarship possible

Customer:

I like the idea of making a special email, so we can DC if we start getting junk mail

Linda Roch :

right

Linda Roch :

this is a good site and it is legitimate

Linda Roch :

??www.finaid.org

Linda Roch :

sometimes people get caught up and start thinking if they pay for services, they'll get better scholarship leads but that's not true

Customer:

if i accept your answer, will it stop my question from being posted, as I would like additional input if anyone has any more suggestions

Linda Roch :

Since I already answered, nobody else will answer it

Linda Roch :

However, you can accept it and post another question and I will not answer it just in case someone else would like to answer it

Linda Roch, Mensa Member
Experience: I am a good researcher and I am a member of Mensa