Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Im having a diner party tomorrow, and I wouldnt want my guests

I'm having a diner party tomorrow, and I wouldnt want my guests to get sick with the wrong combinations of white and red wines. Is it the red first and thebn the white, or the opposite? And I am curious to know why....
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

What courses (foods) will you be serving at your dinner party and in what order?

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hum... Maybe I was not clear in my question? I am just asking which wine should be first, white or red. I appreciate your caring, but I'm good when it comes to mixing fod and wines together =)

Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

I thought you also wanted info on pairing the wines and foods, but I'm glad you're already well-versed in that!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

The best recommendation is to start off with sparkling white wines, if you are serving those, followed by light to full-bodied white wines, light to full-bodied red wines and light to full-bodied dessert wines.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback will also be greatly appreciated.

If you need any additional information please click 'Reply''. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!

I hope your dinner party is great!

Regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, I'm curious though as to why, chemically speaking sort-of, its better to have the white wine before the red? (I'm French, and we have a song that's supposed to help us remember which from white or red we're supposed to have first at a party, but its crap: everybody mixes the rimes up, so its not helping a great deal lol)
Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome!

The thinking behind this is to serve the 'lighter' (not in color, in body--less 'complex') wine first, this being the White, followed by the Red; then the combination will not tend upset your stomach. I tried researching the French song/rhyme you mentioned, but had no luck!

Register Here

Regards,
Cher

Edited by Cher on 10/30/2010 at 10:41 PM EST
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont know if I can reply AND accept answer all at once, so I'll do it in 2 steps =) The "song" is either :

" Blanc sur rouge, rien ne bouge, rouge sur blanc, tout fout le camp" (which is NOT right according to your answer lol) or

"Rouge sur blanc, rien ne bouge, blanc sur rouge, tout fout le camp" which is less interesting as a rime, but seems to be the right version... =) Thanks for your time!

Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome.

Thanks very much for your accept and your reply (you did it perfectly!

Register Here
)! Also, thanks for the song. I'm going to check it out!

Regards,
Cher