Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Does Hollandamerica Cruise Fares Include Builtin 10%gratuities

Does Hollandamerica Cruise Fares Include Builtin 10%gratuities In Pricing
Submitted: 5 years ago via HelpOwl.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

According to my research, an article by travel writer Jane Engle, re: tipping on cruises states that for Holland America they have a 'tipping is not required' policy, and you are free to tip if your feel it's warranted. You can see an excerpt from this article, here: (scroll down to Holland America). Nothing indicates there is a 10% gratuity charge included in the fare.

However, checking with your travel agent and/or the cruise line itself, will yield the most accurate and recent information. You can contact Holland America at: 1-877-932-4259 or 1-206-286-3900. Hours are Monday through Friday 5AM to 7PM (Pacific Time)
Saturday and Sunday 6AM to 5PM (Pacific Time).

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback will also be greatly appreciated.

If you need any additional information please click 'Reply''. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I phrased the question incorrectly......Does Holland American have a built in surcharge in their fare of $10. per day per person towards tips and gratuities?
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply.

Please allow me some time to research this information for you.

Your patience is appreciated.
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again and thanks very much for your accept and your patience.

I was offline until just now and I have researched this further for you; the answer is 'yes', Holland America does include a $10 per person, per day tip/gratuity charge also called 'Hotel Service Charges'. These are pooled and divided among dining room staff and cabin stewards. For additional information about this charge, how to raise or lower the amount, and how to tip other staff on the ship, please see:

Cher (please do not click 'accept' an additional time, as the system may prompt, as you have already accepted my answer)

Edited by Cher on 10/28/2010 at 9:56 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We understand that they suggest over and above the fare $11.00 per person per day added at the end of the cruise to our account, but the $10. we are asking about, is it built in to our cruise fare as part of the total cost. We have heard that it is a hidden cost on the cruise fare.
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

According to the website I included for you in my previous answer, the cruise line has said that yes, a $10 per person per day gratuity charge is automatically added to the fare.

I had included the phone number to Holland America in my earlier answer, so perhaps calling them to ask directly, would be a good idea.

Cher (sending this as a 'request for information', although no information is needed, only so you are not prompted to click 'accept' an additional time)