Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

WHEN CAN i HAVE MY HAIR PERMED

Customer Question

WHEN CAN i HAVE MY HAIR PERMED?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

What condition is your hair in now? Have you been told it is damaged?

Has it recently been colored, relaxed, or undergone any other 'processes'? If so, how long ago?

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hi again,

Your hairdresser would be the best person to advise you if your hair is in good enough condition now, to be permed, especially if it has been colored or undergone another process, in the past. If the other process was recent, you will need to wait a specific amount of time before perming, in order to not cause any damage to your hair. You can read more about this, here: http://www.ehow.com/list_6921791_effects-permanent-wave.html

As you can see, certain medications and/or medical conditions may also affect the look and/or outcome of a perm.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have left a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'accept'). Your Positive Feedback will also be greatly appreciated.

If you need any additional information please click 'Reply''. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!

Regards,
Cher

Edited by Cher on 10/27/2010 at 9:21 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My hair was last permed on 27th August and has b een shampood once since then

no colouring, etc. As far as i know it is in good condition. It is naturally straight and needs a cut (and a perm) a.s.ap.

Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

Typically, perms should be redone about every 3-6 months. However, this depends on what type of perm you had last, if it was done at home or in the salon (the chemicals are stronger in the salon perm), and the condition of your hair. Since it's only been 2 months, but you feel it needs to be permed again, your best course of action would be to schedule an appointment for a haircut and if most of the perm is cut out (if your hair is relatively short), discuss if doing another perm at this time is appropriate and safe for your hair, with your hairdresser.
http://www.ehow.com/about_5498697_should-perm-hair.html

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback will also be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My hairdresser who has b een looking after my hair for the last 25 yrs. or so is a professional now mobile assures me that my usual perm is the softest one available

and because my hair grows rapidly needs attention every six weeks by which time the old perm has grown out.

What concerns me is the effect the perm will have on my eye shingles?

Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

Also, thanks for your patience, as we are in different time zones.

If your hairdresser advises you that your perm is the softest one available and it is not dangerous to your hair to have it redone about every two months, that should be fine.

If you keep your eyes protected with a towel during the application and washing out phases of your perm, preventing anything from dripping/splashing into your eyes by accident, that will a necessary precaution. However, as you know, the fumes from the perm are strong and may adversely affect your eye condition, so it might be advisable to wait until your eye shingles clear up, before perming again. If you find a nice (short?) style for your straight hair, which will be easy for you to maintain in the interim, wear it that way until it is safe for you to perm again, based on your physical condition.

Regards,
Cher