Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

Hello I need to know the optimal level of light required

I need to know the optimal level of light required in "lux" for growing algae indoors.
There is no category listed for this and it is an unusual request....
Hello, welcome to Just Answer. There is lot of species of algae, they all have different requirements (some like to float on water surface and have full light but those used to grow under deep water can get damaged with too much exposition to bright light).

Usually algae's have 10 time more light in indirect outdoor sun (25,000 lux) than they need meaning they should be fine at 2500 lux. The intensity is not the only factor, the light frequency (it's colors) can play an important role depending of the size of the photosynthesis pigment the algae use.

Edited by Martin on 10/18/2010 at 8:36 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you have any information about grow lights or bulbs that would be the preferred choice
for any specific type of algae?
As you are an engineer, is lighting your field of expertise.....?
I will accept any answer you provide to this, as my primary question, regarding lux level
is now covered.
Laser, lighting and lot of things related to light are indeed part of electrical engineering curriculum. If you want to learn more about growing them, i direct you to this FAO document.

It's easier to grow them than many plants. I would prefer fluorescent tube because as they need a good photo-period (around 18 hour) those fluorescent tube are more cost effective and reliable. If you grow the kind that float in a solution instead of those attached to the ground, you can reduce the light requirement by agitating them in the water so that they all get the chance to get light (or else they will get less light after each bloom and shade each others).

You can check the Sylvania "gro-lux" tubes. At 36W-40W they give you 2500 lux at about the optimal light frequencies.

Edited by Martin on 10/18/2010 at 9:59 PM EST