Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

I am a retired semi-professional (background in both medicine

I am a retired semi-professional (background in both medicine and psychology) female age almost 80, living alone. I do not believe I belong to any standard (quick) diagnostic category either medical or psychological. What I find is that in this Internet age when so many people I love care about and are interested in are at all kinds of time zones I increasingly often send off a fully-sharing individual e-mail to someone I'd really like to be able to talk with two-ways ... at an hour of the night that my immediacy is that I'm as initially described. Old, alone; trying to balance these factors out. I therefore find myself seeking ... no, not Facebook, but a professional, confidential contact or two I can perhaps "chat with" for the ?"mental health"? value of the simple directness of one-on-one exchanges ... for a bit of ?"time zone closure"?. After (as just now) doing that, I am wondering whether anyone hear can help me ... ?"bridge the gap"?. Between feeling so fully alive in touch with people I remember and know (having just e-mailed them) and needing to "wind-down" and get back to my local time zone realities and necessities? Hope this isn't too obscure!
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

I understand where you're coming from and how you feel. It would be a good idea to try to join some groups in your local area, with people in your age category and with whom you have things in common. If you let me know your location (city, state, zipcode), I will try to help you in finding such groups. Once you start meeting these people in person and/or chatting on the phone/chatting online, you will have new friends with whom to chat at times of your choosing. Of course, it's not unusual to find you are ready to chat at hours when most of your friends, acquaintances, family are asleep; however, it may be possible that you can find people in a similar situation, in your time zone, and be able to email or 'chat' when you are both online, simultaneously.

You could attempt online 'chat rooms', but you really don't know with whom you are communicating, as anyone can be who they 'want' to be, on the internet, and unfortunately, too many people misrepresent themselves.

I would be happy to continue this conversation with you and I am up at times when most people are sleeping, too.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated. Your positive feedback will also be greatly appreciated. If you need additional information or further assistance, please click 'Reply''. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!

Regards,
Cher

Edited by Cher on 10/18/2010 at 8:33 PM EST
Hi again, and thanks very much for your 'accept'.

What city/state are you in? I would like to research those groups I mentioned, which may be available in your area.

Regards,
Cher

Edited by Cher on 10/18/2010 at 9:36 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am trying to reach Dr. Karen. She and I had a fairly extensive exchange of e-mails. The correspondence was interrupted when both financial shortfall and computer problems hit me more or less simultaneously. I have unfinished business with Dr. Karen -- both substantive and fiscal. She told me that if I asked for her by name my inquiry would come to her attention.

Please advise me on this matter.

Thankyou.
Hi again Customer, and thanks for your reply. It's good to hear from you again!

I hope things have been going well for you, despite your prior financial shortfall and simultaneous computer problems!

You can post a new question in our Mental Health category where Dr.Karen is an expert, and begin the post with 'For Dr. Karen', or you can type your question in the question box located on her profile page:
http://www.justanswer.com/mental-health/expert-drkarenhoving/

If I can ever be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to click 'Reply' and/or ask for me by name.

Warmest best regards,
Cher