Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

I thought that a proof coin was absolutely perfect, but a mint

I thought that a proof coin was absolutely perfect, but a mint state coin is more valuable. Why? What is the difference?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello Customer, and welcome back to Just Answer.

Proof coins and mint state coins will vary in value depending upon their condition and 'grade'; however, both typically contain the same amount of precious metal (gold or silver).

Both types of coins can show signs of tarnish, toning, and darkening, even in an uncirculated state. The differences between a mint state coin and a proof coin are explained here:

As you can see, a mint state coin may not necessarily be more valuable than a proof coin, but it depends on the particular coin.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT'. Your positive feedback will also be greatly appreciated. If you need additional information or further assistance, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!

Edited by Cher on 10/14/2010 at 5:21 AM EST