Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

If I graduate from college with a Ba in Social Science with

If I graduate from college with a Ba in Social Science with Education Concentration and a extra major in English. If I go for certification In Colorado will I be able to use my English Major even though it does not have a Ba attach to it. And how will employer look at my English major with out an BA attached to it? Will they consider it? Also Can I go back and get a Ba in English although I have already graduated and have a major in English...I want to be an English teacher but also in social science too for High school. How will this work? Can anyone help me with these kinds of questions or know anything about what I am asking?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome back to Just Answer.

All cities and states have their own rules and regulations for teacher licensing and certification, so it would be a good idea to find out the requirements for teaching High School in Colorado and in the particular city where you will be licensed.

If you dual-major in both Social Science and English and minor in Education, you should fulfill the requirements to teach in your state (certification) and city, after taking the appropriate licensing exams. If you have enough credits to major in both of your intended areas of study, you should earn your B.A. in both subjects, simultaneously. You can list your B.A. as being in 'Social Science/English/Education' on your resume, and be able to find a position in teaching High School with these specialties. The dual major can only work to your advantage.

You mentioned that you would like to go back to school for a B.A. in English, so if you do not take enough credits in English to qualify as a 'major' when you graduate with your B.A. in Social Science, you have several choices: you can take additional undergraduate credits to fulfill a major in English, in addition to Social Science, and/or you can take your Masters in English/Education, as teachers usually need a Masters to advance in the system and on the pay-scale, in any case. It's best to take your Masters as soon as possible after you get your B.A. If you are fortunate enough to begin teaching soon after you graduate, you might consider taking night classes at your local college or even getting your Masters online.

You sound like a very ambitious person and that is admirable! I wish you much good luck in your future endeavors.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT'. Your positive feedback will also be greatly appreciated. If you need additional information or further assistance, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!

Best wishes,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for answering my question...

The reason why I was asking is because the school I am attending told me they do not give a BA in both majors just one and I can pick which one I want. So do you think that if I graduate with a double major and only have one BA in one of the Majors will the other one count still ( like as a BA) or would I have to go back to school again to get the title?

Would I be able to list my B.A. as being in 'Social Science/English/Education' on my resume, still, if the school I am attending now only let me have one B.A. but will show thatI have a double major?

Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome.

Thanks for the clarification regarding what your school told you about the double major. If you have a sufficient number of credits/classes in each of these subjects, there should be no problem in listing it in the way I suggested, on your resume. You should not need to go back to school to get another B.A.

You will need to take your teacher licensing exam in one of the subjects you majored in, but in my experience as a High School teacher (in NYC), if you're hired under a specific license and they need a teacher in another subject area, they can usually use you to fill that position. As long as you have a B.A. in a specific subject area and Education, you should be qualified to teach with your State Certification and City license.

Best wishes,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much you have been a really great help to some troubling questions that I have. I just have some more follow up questions.

Would it matter which one I really have the BA in? I want to teach English so would it be wise to have the actually BA in English? or maybe its what I get certified in would that would matter...oh and is it possible to have multiple certifications? I guess its possible but I just want to ask to make sure. I want to get my masters too and also in ESL...

I will Accept your answer by the way...I hope you don't mind if I ask you more questions in the future. You have been a wonderful help to me...Thank you again

Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome; it's been my pleasure to help you.

I don't mind answering additional questions at all and I'm happy to share the knowledge of my experience. You can begin your future questions with 'FOR CHER', to address them to me, specifically.

Yes, I do think it would be best to have your B.A. in English, if that is what you would like to teach. The way it worked for me, I was automatically State certified in my major, which was Spanish, when I graduated (I did have to apply for the certification, and the school had to submit proof of my degree as well). I also studied ESL and one of my licenses is in that subject, which I have taught, in addition to Spanish. I think it would be very wise to get your Masters in ESL, as it is a much needed subject for which there will always be a need. You can probably apply for certification in ESL when you complete your Masters. I think the requirement is a degree in that subject, and that's how you can get more than one certification, but again, the rules of the State Board of Education of Colorado will determine this for you.

I appreciate your intention to accept my answer and wish you good luck in finishing this first degree.

Regards,
Cher

Edited by Cher on 10/10/2010 at 8:32 AM EST
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist