Kim D., Consultant
Experience:  Researcher 25 yrs in small and large institutions
49865320
Type Your Question Here...

I have a Paul Detelfson painting that was handed down to me

I have a Paul Detelfson painting that was handed down to me from my grandfather. I remember it hanging my entire life and thats been over 40 years now. It has 2 white horses pulling a buggy across a stream. The P@D are red lettered in lower right hand corner. Painting measures approx 2' by 3'.This is hand written on the back C433Q-BM.It hangs by a wire. Seems to be in good condition other than the paper on back is torn along the top. How can I tell if this an original and what the value is? Thanks.
Category: General
Expert:  Kim D. replied 4 years ago.

Hello - Thank you for your question. This sounds just like Paul Detlefsen (note spelling) subject matter however without a painting on site it is hard to access the authenticity. There are a number of books now that record his work as it gets more known. Here is a list of reference books from Ask Art. http://www.askart.com/

2005Davenport, RayDavenport's Art Reference:The Gold Edition0No
2005AskART.com Inc. -
Dunbier, Lonnie Pierson (Editor)
The Artists Bluebook34,000 North American Artists to March 2005479No
2002Hughes, Edan MiltonArtists in California: 1786-1940
Available For Sale.
(Two Volumes)1249No
1999Falk, Peter Hastings (Editor)Who Was Who in American Art, 1564-19753 Volumes3724No
1993Southwest ArtMaster Index 1971-1993Artists in Southwest Art64No
1989Hughes, Edan MiltonArtists in California, 1786-1940637No

It seems (as you see above) that there are outlets of his work that would be better at accessing this works value and are in the business of selling his work.

Askart does not offer their names readily on their website. I would follow up by contacting Askart, as there are over 250 questions on their site regarding the artist and his work. I am sure they could connect you to an expert or gallery who can tell you more about the value of your painting.

I hope that helps, Dori

PS As a reminder, press ACCEPT if you are happy with my response, as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research. Positive feedback is always helpful to us as experts at Just Answer, so feel free to add feedback as well! Thank you in advance!

Edited by Dori on 10/6/2010 at 6:15 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dori!

Thank you for taking the time to help me, but I still did not get the answer I was looking for. I know you gave me some websites that may answer my question so can we compromise and cut the $15 fee in half?

Expert:  Kim D. replied 4 years ago.

Hello - This is a reference service. We can not appraise works of art or antiques by email. I am sorry that this was not what you were expecting.

You would have to contact JA to discuss the matter. So sorry. Dori

Kim D., Consultant
Experience: Researcher 25 yrs in small and large institutions