Kim D., Consultant
Experience:  Researcher 25 yrs in small and large institutions
Type Your Question Here...

I have a late 1890s-early 1900s wicker wheelchair in fair

I have a late 1890's-early 1900's wicker wheelchair in fair condition.Could you give me a ballpark figure on the going rate?Perhaps,because I didn't get the answer I was looking for,maybe you could answer this question.I have a Pepsi radio,2 feet tall and 8 inches wide at the base.The dial is in the cap.It was a gift to Pepsi stockholders in the 1920's Could you give me an idea what it's worth?Thanks,XXXXX XXXXX

I have found several on Ebay that sell for the high end at $200.00. They key with any Antique is the condition and what the collector wants. If you sell this to a dealer, then you are looking at a quarter of the estimated value. Here is the link where you can view the ones that are for sale:

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not what I was looking for,these were mostly not wheelchairs
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I found these myself on e-bay

I will opt out an see if another Expert can assist you. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No need to do that

Basically the value is what a buyer will pay. I have seen from $200-$450. If the chair had documented history like belonging to FDR, then the value would be much greater. That is the problem with antiques. The value is what the buyer will pay. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I appreciate your time,but I know all you've showed/told me.Thought you could

tell me something I didn't know.I'm not being a smart aleck.

Perhaps you could give me info on another antique I don't know about???

Hello - Thank you for your understanding. The ranges that Joan provided are really helpful insight as to what the value is to an early wheelchair. These are old and unique but not collectible, so looking to what the market will bare is not a bad way to figure out the value.

As for the Pepsi radio this could be another situation. The 1920's were a difficult and transisitional time for the company. from 1923-1928 the Pepsi-Cola Company went into bankrupcy and was sold to a North Carolina company, Craven Holding Corp. Roy C. Megargel, a Wall Street broker, bought the Pepsi trademark, business and good will from Craven Holding Corporation for $35,000, forming the Pepsi-Cola Corporation.After five continuous losing years, Megargel reorganizes his company (1928) as the National Pepsi-Cola Company, becoming the fourth parent company to own the Pepsi trademark in only a few years.

I cant find when they distributed these radio's but they relate to what was going on - they most likely are c. 1928 when they are getting back on their feet.

Soda advertising radios were fairly common. I find in books early Dr. Pepsi and Coke, of course, but none of Pepsi. As well, I find 184 Pepsi advertising radios sold at online auction in the last few years...none are early. This says to me that what you have is fairly rare. The earliest Dr. Pepsi radio lists in a 2010 Kovel's price guide for 1700.00 I think this is the range that you should consider for your item and its novelty.

I hope this helps. Dori

Edited by Dori on 10/1/2010 at 2:07 AM EST
Kim D., Consultant
Experience: Researcher 25 yrs in small and large institutions
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wanted a dollar value on the wheel chair.Let's just forget it.Pepsi bottle info,I accepted.
Hi Gary - In all the messages I think you missed Joan's estimate. She looked at recent sales and found that they "sell for the high end at $200.00". Yours will depend on condition of the wood and wicker, completeness and whether it has any unique aesthetic. Craigslist or ebay is probably your best source of buyers for an antique wheel chair. Dori
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok,I'll try Craig's list.Already tried E-bay.Sentimental value is worth more than $200.

My great great grandmother used it.I know sentimental value means nothing.Thanks,Gary

Very cool history. If you dont like the price, I would suggest finding the local historical society in her town. (or the STate Historical Society) Donate it with her history and picture and the value will be to the public so they know what wheel chairs looked like at that time in history. YOu will get a tax deduction and they will be very happy to recieve this antique. I worked for a major Historical Society for years. We had wicker wheel chairs but they had no use as they had no history. They became icons of what was used. This is personal and linked to a region. Consider it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Okay thanks,I most likely will end up keeping it.$200 isn't worth the family history.

You've been very helpful.Gary

:) Dori

Edited by Dori on 10/1/2010 at 7:43 PM EST