Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
Type Your Question Here...

How Can I Tell If The Seller Is Legit We Have Initiated A

How Can I Tell If The Seller Is Legit? We Have Initiated A Purchase On A Vehicle
Category: General
Expert:  Tyler replied 6 years ago.
Hi, welcome back to Just Answer!

You are wise to get assistance with something like this. First and foremost it is unwise to conduct eBay business outside of eBay. Ebay has safeguards in place to protect buyers and sellers, one of which is PayPal. Using PayPal to send money is much safer than other means and allows for records to be kept on both parties which discourages any "funny business". Paying for just about anything via wire transfer is a bad idea because of the anonymity provided. Most reputable vehicle sellers on eBay ask for a deposit (normally approx 5-10% of the vehicle's final price) to be placed within a few days via PayPal to ensure the buyer will come through with the remainder of the price which could come from other methods.

It's rare to find a seller who can't wait a few days for the buyer to show up in person to collect the car and deliver full payment via cashier's check or other documented method. There will of course be paperwork that you must have, like the vehicle's title, in hand before the vehicle actually belongs to you. Just because you wire the guy the purchase amount doesn't mean you own the car, and I'd be very hesitant to hand over that kind of money without a title in hand.

Check the seller's eBay feedback to see if he has done other deals like this before. See what other buyers have had to say about him. He may be legit, but I would strongly suggest you find another way to complete the transaction. The warnings you see on eBay and on the internet about scams are very true, and with the car being valued so low, as you say, the seller may not even have the car but is looking for people to take advantage of.

If you check the feedback and all other signs point to things being OK with the transaction, then just make sure everything is well documented by a third party (eBay, PayPal, etc) and that you don't fire off the money to him without receiving the vehicle and title.

If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. Once I have satisfactorily answered your question, please press ACCEPT as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research I personally put into your individual question. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!