A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

I have a 23.7% Gold Chain that I bought over 20 years from

I have a 23.7% Gold Chain that I bought over 20 years from a jewelry store in Florida. I've never seen Anything like it. I recently saw a picture of a chain that was recovered from the Abbatucci Ship Wreck and It is Very Similar, if not the same, "I can't see the enough detail in the pic.." I can't find "Anyone" that will take me seriously. I am trying to get someone at one of the museums where I live to look at it. Can you Please Help Me??!! I have some good pics that I can send to someone if they will take me serious.

Does it cost me more to send a Pic to you???

Please Help if you can...

Thanks,
Ray Gibboney XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 4 years ago.

Schuyler :

Schuyler :

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. It costs no more to post picture(s) than not. You can use the little "tree" icon in the tool bar above.

Customer :

I don't see a answerI'm sorry, but I'm new to this site and have only used it once a couple of years ago.

Customer :

Opps

Customer :

I don't see a answer, only a Disclaimer.. Am I doing something wrong or do I not have a answer yet?

Schuyler :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. It doesn't cost any more to post picture(s) than not to. You can use the little "tree" icon on the tool bar to post right here, or use a file hosting site and send us the link when you have uploaded your pictures.

Customer :

Should I just wait for an e-mail?

I have switched to question and answer format since you seem to be having trouble using Chat. Please read everything form the top of the page down to here. You can use the little "tree" icon above to post your picture(s).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX! I'm reading now.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX! I'm reading now.

There is not a tree icon?? I'm a Mac, is that a problem??

It really shouldn't make a difference. The workaround is to use a file hosting program like photobucket, snapfish, etc. Upload your pictures to it, and then give us the link in your reply.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry I'm such an Idiot, but I don't know how to do that. I can attach it to an e-mail though. That I do know how to do.. :)

That is something you can't do, due because of JA's rules and regulations.

You can go to www.photobucket.com or www.snapfish.com and sign up. It's free. Then select your photos from wherever you have them stored and upload to the site. When you are done, follow directions for sharing the photos.

Edited by Schuyler on 10/11/2010 at 8:58 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
http://www1.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=3340963015/a=10061953_10061953/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

I hope I did this right. It's just one pic. My computer shut down twice before I could get one pic up. Let me know if you need more.

Thanks,

It does indeed resemble some of the pieces that were recovered from the Abbatucci. You will need to take it to a large auction house (Christie's for instance) or the largest jewelry store in your area with a resale department to have it looked at. There were lots of goldsmiths working in that time period so value is very difficult to obtain. Looking online at some of the pieces sold at the 1997 Abbatucci auction, I was stunned at how similar some of them are to today's David Yurman and Judith Ripka designs. Determining age will be the key to value.

Edited by Schuyler on 10/11/2010 at 10:03 PM EST
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience: 30 years in research
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Christie's and the like are the ones who will not take me serious... I guess I'm asking too much. This is such a beautiful chain and I can't even get Anyone to look at it and tell me or help me find anyone who can tell me where it came from. I know every link of it is painstakingly handmade and the detail is beyond most craftsman of todays standards.

I'm having to go on disability and about to lose my home. I was praying someone would know something. You guy's were my last hope.

Thank you for your help and God Bless,

R

Check out this link info@hirschfelds.co.uk and see if you can send it to them for appraisal. Recovery from the Abbatucci didn't start until the summer of 1996, so the odds of its being from that wreck and not good. Here is an ebay link to some pieces that are available for sale.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=abbatucci&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hirschfelds was the one who sent me to Christie's. I sent them the pics. they said Christie's sold it so I needed them to certify the chain. They just brushed me off to another company that would not even return my calls or e-mails. I finally got an e-mail telling me that they did not handle such items as mine and referred me back to Christie's which once again turned me down saying that they could not help me.

I'm sorry if I sound bitter. I don't mean to. It is certainly not against you. I'm just tiered of being treated like I'm nobody. It's hard enough to be in my struggle, but it's harder to be completely turned away without even looking at the chain.. It's as though my situation is telling them who I am. And that is So not true.

I thank you for your wonderful help, but I can not afford any more charges on my credit card...

Take Care,
R

There is never another charge, and you aren't expected to accept again. I am always happy to send along anything else I find, and answer follow-up questions for people after they accept. I'm so sorry you are getting the run-around. I hope your luck will change.