John Henderson
John Henderson, Consultant
Experience:  I own a research business that provides latest data on a variety of topics.
Type Your Question Here...

I have several wildlife prints which are numbered and signed

Customer Question

I have several wildlife prints which are numbered and signed by Gene Murray. Following prints are # XXXXX(2) 1265,365 (39-2000),365 (33-2000),166,and #467. I would like to know the value of these prints, and also to whom I might sell them to. These prints are not framed.    Thank You, [email protected]
Category: General
Expert:  John Henderson replied 6 years ago.

Hello Barbara...

Gene Murray died in 1992 and was a very prolific artist. To demonstrate that, go to his gallery at See if you can find the pieces in your collection and right click and save to a folder in your My Documents then add them to your next post so I can see which ones you have. If they are not shown on his gallery, take a photo of them and add them. I need to see the one you have before I can offer an intelligent opinion.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I,m working on getting a copy of the prints to you.

Tahnk You, Barbara A. Boykin
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

These are references to files on your computer. You need to send the actual images using the "insert/edit image" utility - it looks like a tree.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did send you the copies and don't know why you are not getting them..I have dont just what you told me to do.....please let me know something......thank you, Barbara

You can use a free service called to store images or documents then send me the address with a key they give you...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I posted the prints on
you can view the file under the email :[email protected] password: genemurray

G'mornin Barbara...MediaFire is an amazing service!

I am looking forward to helping you solve this riddle and seeing the prints. There is no guarantee that they are of any significant value unless we can establish that they are something like "first edition AND signed" with sequential numbers like 134/200 or such, which means that it is print number 134 out of the first printing of 200. This is usually with lithographs or screen prints.

If you look at your latest post above, you'll see X's where your eMail address should be. Our security system protects you that way. My only suggestion is to try spelling out the words "at" and "dot" like this: "myfolder at thisplace dot com" - (don't use the quote marks). When the spell check sees the misspelled words, just click ignore.

Lets try that and hope it works...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i.m trying, just hang in there with me...thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I posted the prints on You can view the file under the email:bykgr"at"aol"dot"com password XXXXX Thank You
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
did you get the prints.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you need more information? Did you get the prints. I did the email address as you said and sent the prints again..Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Please let me know something.

Hi Barbara...

Sorry it took so long. We had a minor personal crisis. Everything is OK now. I have seen the prints and they are beautiful. Can I ask how you came by them? I need a wek to look and make some inquiries. Are they originals? I have to ask because the people I will be talking to will ask and I will need to show them something to indicate they are the original prints.

Thanx John

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mr. John, I do not know if they are originals or not...they look like it to me. I was cleaning a closet out and found them rolled up in a tube with a note inside also that stated,these are signed and numbered prints...Display them well. Put a good price on them.....The prints are signed and numbered. They are not in frames....thank you, Barbara

I am not able to actually sell them. But I do need to know the sizes. You have 7 right?

Hi Barbara,

I have been in touch with Ed Murray, Gene Murray's son. I will herein provide an exact reproduction of our email exchange.

Sent: tue 05Oct2010
I am looking for a potential buyer for 6 wildlife sketches by Gene Murray. One is here. Do you know anything about this one? (image of trout jumping for fly)

Ed's response: wed 06Oct2010
If I'm not mistaken this print was one of his early drawings , this was prior to him using colored India Ink, probably done in the 1968 to 1970 era. Good luck on your sales .
Ed Murray

My response: wed 06Oct2010
Ed thank you for your quick response. Are you related to the artist? I am a researcher for and the lady who has these prints has ask me to research for her. She bought a house and found them rolled up in a tube. She has ask me, if possible to let her know what value to place on them for insurance and possible sale. Can you help. . .

Ed's response: wed 06Oct2010
I am the son..... Go to see what pictures she has and let me know the # XXXXX the picture from the web Thanks Ed

My response: wed 06Oct2010
Might be able to gauge by # XXXXX - When was that one done and what are you selling that one for? it is close to one. He may have redone the jumping trout with color...

Ed's response: wed 07Oct2010

Old old pictures late 60's early 70's . I don't even remember some of them. Not sure what they are worth. The collectable's are after he started using colored India inks , and his work got better with time. The black and white prints go for $40.00 to $50.00. Good luck Ed

As Ed said, the prints you have are from his early period. 1968 - 1970. He got better with age and the b/w ink art done just before his death in 1992 are sold for $40 - 50. At auction if the ones you have were able to command any value, it would be $5 - 10 each. I know that may be disappointing, but with his legacy the value can only increase.

You never did tell me the sizes.