Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

A company, Perrot Ledesma Javier Abogados phoned me and said

A company, Perrot Ledesma Javier Abogados phoned me and said that crooks in Spain were due in a Spanish court to answer charges re timeshare scams and my name and details were on a database (i have been the subject of timeshare scams in the past). They asked for payment of 138 euros to be paid by bank transfer. I am wary due to past experiences and I would like to know if this is company is legal and above board and do you have any knowledge of this pending court case
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for your question.

While I have found this company online, and it does appear they deal with timeshares, they may be a legitimate company, however, you are right to be wary, because no company will ask for a payment up front, just because your name came up in a database of having been the subject of timeshare scams in the past. Do not send them any money, or I'm afraid you will be 'taken' again.

Many scams use legitimate company names, but any contact information or addresses where to wire payments, etc., are not associated with that company. Also, keep in mind that a legitimate company will never 'solicit' a bank transfer from customers with whom they have no prior working relationship.

I hope all goes well.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback. If you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,

Edited by Cher on 9/4/2010 at 7:39 PM EST