TaxTom, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Years of experience of finding questions for employeers, family and friends.
Type Your Question Here...

I was in the process of filling for BK and my husband filled

I was in the process of filling for BK and my husband filled for divorce . Would it be better to go ahead with the BK first and try to get a continuance for the divorce? I am conserned that after the debt that is only in my name is XXXXX XXXXX the debt in both names will be split in the divorce and I will have debt again. I have debt in my name only and some in joint names although part of the debt in my name only is also his debt because he had poor credit and so I had it in my name. We are not living together at this time.
Category: General
Expert:  TaxTom replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I would continue with the bankruptcy and include all debt that is in your name, any joint debt and any debt you guaranteed but is not in your name. Most courts will assign each interval their personal debt and split any joint debt. Bring to the divorce courts attention that you have settled your personal debt in bankruptcy. Thank You Tom