Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

I am considering going Back to school, but I dont know if

I am considering going Back to school, but I don't know if an LVN program is better for me or going for my RN again. I have a few college credits and wouldn't mind finishing my basics however I have alot of dropped classes that will follow me. So now almost 2 yrs later at 25 I want to go back. Lvn is 12 months, and expensive but convient I think and I can make good money sooner. So I have about 4 basics classes finish and about 8 more to go and i would get grants. Instead of a 30,000 loan for LVN. And all my basics I can take online at home, which help since I'm about to have my third child any day now. What should I do LVN for convience. Or RN which I will have to finish basics and then wait to be accepted in a nursing school.
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

This is a difficult decision to make. after looking at all your circumstances - dropped classes, children to care for, a baby on the way, concerns about debt, etc. - I believe your best choice would be to go for the LVN. It seems that caring for your children alone would make it very difficult to complete your RN program at this time. the stress of keeping up with all aspects of your life while attending classes would probably result in an inability to get as much from your coursework as you should, and may even make it difficult to keep up your grades.

If you go ahead and complete the LVN program now, you can start a new career without being in a huge amount of debt. Later on, after your children are all in school and you have some money saved up, you could decide to go back and go for your RN. at that point in your life, doing so will probably be much less stressful. On the other hand, you may find your career as an LVN so satisfying that you'll choose to stay with it.

Of course, I can't make the decision for you; all i can do is give you some things to consider as you make your choice. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope that whatever you decide, it will work out well for you and your family.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the advice its just hard to decide which road to take. I'm actually a fulltime CNA right now but I was planning take a year off to raise my new arrival when she gets here so I thought why not go to school. So would it be easy to transition from LVN to RN later if I choose? I just feel being in a LVN program will help as long as I stay focus and being a CNA with a little knowledge makes me comfortable to pursue my license. However the program is 30,000. And I hear it's hard to pass LVN programs since it's alot crammed together and they don't pay alot. How much do LVN in texas make out of school? Is it a website or something that will tell me what the program covers so I can be prepared? I hate to fail out of this as well. And alot of people tell me just pursue my RN again it's cheaper and less stressful than LVN however I loose my drive and motivation quickly and I don't want to keep failing, and dropping classes. And this LVN is more of a must pass because I will be committing for 12 months with 30,000 at stake.

Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
How much you would be paid depends ons several factors. In bigger cities, pay tends to be higher than in small towns or rural areas. Taking a less desirable shift can also result in higher pay. LVNs who work in nursing homes tend to make more than those who work in hospitals. If you have some experience working in a hospital or nursing home prior to obtaining your LVN, you may also be paid more. I couldn't find an average hourly wage for LVNs just out of school in Texas, but the average overall is about $15 per hour. Hospitals in rural areas may pay as little as $10 per hour. The most highly paid positions in larger cities were about $18 per hour. After several years in the same position, LVNs may earn an hourly wage of a bit over $20 per hour. There isn't a potential for a large income. RNs earn considerably higher salaries, if you can complete the schooling.

I'll check on the program requirements and get back to you with that information.

Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your patience. I found a site that should be very useful to you. this page describes LVN training requirements in Texas:

This one has more general information, but on the left side of the page, you'll find a menu which has links to topics you'll be interested inf or both LVN and RN requirements and training.

I hope this helps!