10cowife, Consultant
Experience:  15+ years consulting
Type Your Question Here...

How do I refinish an old pine table I have sanded it but need

How do I refinish an old pine table? I have sanded it but need to protect it.
Category: General
Expert:  10cowife replied 6 years ago.

Pine is one of the most commonly used woods in furniture making. Refinishing pine requires similar techniques to refinishing any solid wood surface. Before beginning the refinishing process you will need to choose whether to use water-based stain and finish or oil-based products. Water-based finishes and stains have reduced fumes and are easier to clean up. Oil-based products penetrate deeper and provide a richer finish. They are also longer lasting. You will need gloves, ventilation and respirator masks for safety with oil-based products.

Once you have sanded the table sufficiently, the next step would be to brush the sawdust from sanding off the surface with a dry, soft bristle brush.

Next, apply a coat of stain with a fine bristle brush. Use long, sraight strokes in
in overlapping rows. Rub the excess stain from the surface of the coffee table with a clean soft rag. Allow the label recommended drying time for the stain. Successive coats can be applied to darken the color if desired.

Lightly sand the surface of the table by hand with 220-grit paper to smooth any grain that may have been raised during the staining process. Use a dry soft bristle brush to remove the dust from the surface before applying the clear finish.

Apply at least two coats of clear furniture finish. Clear finishes are available in a variety of sheens from flat to high gloss. Choose a finish that suits the coffee table and complements the rest of your interior. Use a fine bristle brush to apply the finish in smooth, even coats. Be careful not to allow the finish to build up, causing runs and drips. Allow the recommended drying time between coats and after the last coat before using the coffee table.

If you have found this information to be helpful, please ACCEPT and leave FEEDBACK. If you have further questions regarding this particular item, please reply. As always bonuses - even small ones - are VERY appreciated!!

Edited by 10cowife on 8/20/2010 at 8:27 PM EST