Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

I have 4 tall, mature firm trees. They have been there since

I have 4 tall, mature firm trees. They have been there since I moved in approx 15 yrs ago. Three of the trees are losing their green firms and the branches are turning brown. The 4th tree is now staring to do the same. All the lower branches up 15 ft high are now left w/o the green firm and the branches are now brown and turning brittle.

Is there anything I can do to stop this deterioration? And even turn around to green full leafy branches?

Do you know the species of the trees? Would they happen to be blue spruce? Do the trees look like this?

graphic

In what state do you live (different diseases are present in different areas)?

Thank you.

Anna

Edited by Anna on 8/18/2010 at 2:59 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I just looked on the internet and they look the same.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
SE Wisconsin. One mile from shores of Lk Michigan
Thank you for getting back to me. Your trees most likely have Rhizosphaera needle cast. It has become very common in Midwestern states. It's causing a lot of damage on Christmas tree farms. It is controlled there by spraying the trees with
Bordeaux mixture or chlorothalonil in early June and again in early July each year. This can control the disease well enough to obtain a harvest of Christmas trees. On trees grown for landscaping, the treatment would have to be continued for the life of the tree. Many homeowners (myself included) have resorted to removing the trees. without treatment, the trees won't die, but the disease spreads upward. Eventually, there will just be a small amount of green growth at the top of the tree. You can read more about it here:

Spruce

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it too late to start the Bordeaux mixture or chlorothalon treament in order to save the trees?
I would try one treatment this year as soon as possible.It won't hurt anything, but may not do much good because it's most effective when the fungus is in its spring stage. Follow up next year with the June and July treatments.

Anna
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok. Where do I get the Bordeaux mixture or chlorothalon? And where on the tree do I spray or apply the treatment?
The entire tree has to be sprayed. You can buy the chemicals in garden supply stores or online. If you need an online supplier, let me know.

Many tree owners hire a professional tree service.

Anna
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well that may not be possible. Since the trees are 30 to 40 tall and in an area that accessable to hydrlylic lift equipment. Would it be a waste of time if we get as high, or spray hafl the tree?
I honestly don't know. There's no information available on limited treatment. However, if you can manage to spray all the lower branches, there's at least a chance you could control it since it starts at the bottom and moves up.

Anna