Tyler
Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
Type Your Question Here...

Hello. Ive been reading about vicious dog attacks and the

Hello. I've been reading about vicious dog attacks and the effect it has on people. I have a certain nervousness I want to get over. I'd like to know if there are classes that teach civilians how to defend themselves if a dog were to attack with no weapon. I feel that if I had a trained dog run and jump at me and bite a protective suit that it would help me overcome the uneasy feeling of not knowing what it's like. Are there any schools you know of? I live in SW CT. Thank you. Craig
Category: General
Expert:  Tyler replied 3 years ago.
Hello, Craig and welcome to Just Answer.

Your request will require some research on my part, so please give me some time to look into this request for you. You do not have to stay online to wait for my answer. As long as you provided a valid email address you will receive an email when I have sent an answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I am considering taking self defense courses to prepare for an attack such as grappling for chokes and punches and kicks. I feel live dog training that involves running after me and jumping and shaking me is good for getting over my nerves. I heard dogs read fear and anxiety so this is a great way to rid myself of doubt and anxiety and learn real world skills. The most informative answer would be most helpful so I have resources. Thank you again, Craig
Expert:  Tyler replied 3 years ago.
Hi, again Craig!

I do have some information for you which I think you'll find helpful. First, as a former police officer, I can tell you that it will be difficult, if not impossible, to find a police department or military institution with a trained "bite dog" that will allow you to take part in what you describe, simply because of the immense legal ramifications it could have on the city/county government if something went wrong. Knowing that, I placed a call to a place called Connecticut Canine Services, located in New Haven. They are basically a supplier and trainer of police and military dogs in the area.
I explained your situation, what you were looking to do and the benefit you are hoping to receive from it. The good news is, they were open to your idea and are willing to let you come to their facility and be put in this situation.

Here are the specifics: The session would be $100 and located at their facility. It would be led and supervised by experienced trainers there on-site. You would be required to sign a legal waiver. You would also need to wear a protective suit or "red suit". This is where the good news possibly ends, but I hope not. Gary, the individual I spoke with, said he currently has one suit in stock that is made to fit a male who is approximately 6'2" and 190 pounds. While you would fit ok if slightly shorter or thinner, there's not much room in the suit if you are much larger than that. The suits cost $1,500 each and are made to order, so basically if you don't fit that one then there will have to be some other alternatives worked out.

I asked him about the possibility of just using a single arm protective barrier that you might have seen on tv along with the full suit you describe. He was a bit apprehensive about that, because while the dogs are well trained, they are being put in a situation where they are told to be aggressive and attack, and should the dog not go for the one protected arm, you would be in some trouble.

Anyway, the good news is that Gary would be willing to work with you to accommodate your situation. He is leaving the country tomorrow for about a week but will be back next Wednesday and is expecting your call. His number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

That said, I don't know of any place that would actually allow you to engage the dogs in a defensive manner, as it would cause harm to them. In looking for some other options I found that many martial arts centers are aware of dog attack issues and can tailor training to that specific issue. Your best bet here would be to phone a few of your local centers and see who could offer this type of training. You might ask for one-on-one sessions in this instance.

I really do wish you the best of luck in this and hope everything works out well for you. Please do let me know if I can be of further assistance to you. Best regards!

If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. If I have been able to answer your question, please press ACCEPT as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and research. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!

Experience: B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.