Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

how do you say strength and courage in latin

how do you say strength and courage in latin?
Hi, and thanks for your question.

'Strength' can have various translations/meanings in Latin, and that's why I think you're having such a hard time finding the 'correct' one for your tattoo. The following list of these translations may help you choose the one you would like best:

"VIRTUS" if "strength" means "bravery" ,"gallantry", “valour”.

"FORTITUDO" or “AUDACIA”, ”ANIMUS”, if " strength " means "courage" as opposed to 'fear'.

"VIS"or “ROBUR”, if " strength " means "brute force", “violence”.

"POTENTIA” or “POTESTAS”, if “strength” means “power”.

FIRMITAS”, if “strength” means “firmness”

"Courage" (as in bravery and strength of character) would be "VIRTUS" as ‘bravery’, ‘courage’; or "FORTITUDO" as ‘strength of character’. This is why you read that both words can mean 'strength' and 'courage'

In my personal opinion, I would use 'Virtus et Fortitudo' for the tattoo, as they refer to the most flattering characteristics of the words, or you might just choose the one word, 'Fortitudo', since it can allude to both characteristics.

I wish you much good luck!

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback. If you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Cher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you so much. I was having such a hard time, and you can imagine how bad I needed this reassurance if I'm getting this tattooed on my body .. I was so scared doing this and what if later I found out that it means something the complete opposite!
Do give you a brief summary of why I want this, it is because last year I was diagnosed with a brain tumor. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks, had surgery and about 6 months of recovery. It was probably the biggest change in my whole life. Which is why I want strength and courage , to sum up everything I went through. so does "virtus et fortitudo" means exactly "strength & courage" ?? or is it like strength and strength? also, I see that you put that 'vis' means brute force? what exactly does that mean? so when I read somewhere about 'vis et fortitudo' it means brute force or violence in strength? pleas e help again. thank you!
Hi again, and you're most welcome.

You are indeed, a very strong and courageous person, and I'm so glad you're doing well, now! Smile

Yes, 'vis' means brute force (sheer body/physical strength, like a body-builder), as in 'Atlas had the strength/brute force to carry the world on his shoulders'. If it refers to brute force in any way associated with violence, I personally would not want to use it. You had the strength of mind, character, and body and the 'fortitude' to beat this thing, so I still think 'Virtus et Fortitudo' would be appropriate, but, the final decision is of course, yours.

I wish you much good luck and only good health, from now on!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you so much!!!!!! I think I will do "virtus et fortitudo" I cant wait to get this tattoo. thank you so much for your intelligent input :)
You are most welcome!

It was my pleasure to be of help and thanks very much for your accept!

Best regards,
Cher