Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

I have 20yr old white pine trees and they are turning light

I have 20yr old white pine trees and they are turning light green and then they die what is going on? Thanks
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Some additional information will help me to your question.

In what area do you live - Midwest, eastern piedmont, etc.?

Do you see any abnormalities on the branches and trunk?

How long ago did this start?

How close together are the trees growing?

What has your weather been like?

Do you live near any big cities or major highways?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi anna I have lost about 1 tree almost every year for the past 4-5yrs. I live south of indianapolis, In. I live pretty much a rual area. It has been awful warm this yr. temps been in the mid 80's and 90's fot the month of june july and aug. the trees are about 30 to 40 ft apart. as far as the livin by any major roads thats a no! Thanks Jeff
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me, Jeff. You're most likely dealing with a disease called White Pine Decline. It's very common in Indiana. The problem is that the soil and climate are not optimal for white pines. The disease typically begins when the trees are 8 to 20 years old. The pale color of the needles is the first sign, but it also means it's too late to save the trees because root damage has already occurred. It is recommended that any trees showing symptoms be removed because they attract pests, such as borers that make the remaining trees weaker. Purdue University has been studying White Pine Decline, but unfortunately, the only solution they have is to plant the trees only where they're likely to grow because conditions are right. You can read their information here - and there's also a link there for even more information:

http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/weeklypics/8-16-04.html

I'm sorry that I can only tell you what's wrong without offering a solution. Sometimes there just isn't anything that can be done to save trees. I live in Iowa where we have a similar situation with blue spruce trees. They reach 15 to 25 years of age, then develop an untreatable fungus.

You may want to plant a different kind of tree in the open spaces where you've lost white pines. Your county extension agent can help you figure out an appropriate species, and there's no charge for their help. If you don't know how to reach your agent, give me your county, and I'll locate her/him for you. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I'm sorry for the loss of your trees.

Anna
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Anna, I live in Johnson County. could you look my agent up thanks again Jeff R.
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I'll find that for you and will be back in a few minutes.

Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your patience. The office is located in Franklin. The phone number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN Here's a link to their site:

http://www.ag.purdue.edu/counties/johnson/pages/default.aspx

There's no need to click on accept again - you'd be charged again if you do. Thank you for accepting above.

Anna