Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Is there anyone here who can answer a question about artificial

Is there anyone here who can answer a question about artificial fingernails?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer and welcome back to JustAnswer!

What would you like to know about artificial fingernails?

Do you wear acrylics?

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Cher! No rush in the reply, I'm about to go to bed. :) I had artificial fingernails applied two months ago and really enjoyed them. However, the ends of the artificial nail tips are too thick and blunt for me to satisfactorily scratch a person's back. I would like the tips to be thinner in thickness. Is this something that can be done?
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hi agian,Customer and thanks for your reply.

Acrylic nails are never going to be as sharp as natural nails, and I know exactly what you're referring to, because I experienced the same situation, when I first got my acrylics. Your manicurist will be able to lessen the thickness of the nail tips with the drill, but they will always have a 'thickness' to them. They can't be drilled down enough to make them sharp enough to scratch a person's back as well as natural nails, but the amount of acrylic material applied over the artificial nails plays a part, too, so ask for enough to be applied to satisfactorily hold the nail tips in place, but for it not to be applied too thickly. Also ask if your manicurist has various 'brands' of artificial nails, as some are thinner than others.

Whenever you have the nails redone (optimally, this should be every 2 weeks, but some people go longer, especially if quality products are used and the manicurist is good), make sure the manicurist drills off almost all the 'old' acrylic material, or the thickness of the nail will grow and grow, and you will not want this, nor is it good for the condition of your own nails.

Also, question your manicurist re: the different types of artificial nails available, for example 'satin wraps' and 'gels'. You might find them less thick at the tips, than the ones you have now.

I hope you can find a 'happy medium', where you can enjoy the look of your artificial nails, and give a person a good back scratching! : )

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback. If you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you - this is very helpful information. I'll look into these options further.
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome!

Thanks very much for your accept and generous bonus! It was my pleasure to be of help.