TaxTom
TaxTom, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Years of experience of finding questions for employeers, family and friends.
Type Your Question Here...

I inherited Wedgewood China (pattern W2831) and would like

I inherited Wedgewood China (pattern W2831) and would like to know the age and value.
Category: General
Expert:  TaxTom replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I believe I found your China. http://www.replacements.com/webquote/WW_PRAGR.htm

When valuing China Sets you usually can expect them to be worth between 25 and 50% of the value that Replacements is selling it for. You can actually have Replacement send you an offer sheet on your pattern, which will include pieces not listed on their site. They will usually give you about 25% to 35% of their retail value for patterns in demand and 5 to 10% for patterns that are not in demand. Thank You Tom If this information is correct please click accept if not please ask more questions so I can improve on my answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Tom,
I'm actually more interested in the history and age of my china. I know it was passed down through my grandmother who was born around 1886. I don't know if it was a wedding gift (1907) or if she inherited it. I am curious as to the age, so I can impress upon my daughter (who will inherit it from me) what a valuable heirloom this china is. It would be fun to know what the set is worth (price might wow her more than age...) but, I never plan to sell it! An interesting aside...my parents tried to replace some broken pieces back in the 40's and the replacements were much whiter and arrived without the center medalion! Thanks for your efforts, Sally
Expert:  TaxTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello, Is the patten Correct? The age shown on this China is from the 1960's. I have some books on Wedgewood I can confirm when the pattern started once I can con confirm the pattern. Thank You Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hmmmm...The outside of the plate has a green stripe, then there is a border of brown and tan 1/4" (kind of diamond shapes), a very ornate swirly green design 1 1/4" (thinly outlined in brown, on a white background), followed by the same brown and tan border. The center design is a brown outlined, green swirly, with yellow dots and 5 sort of "flor de lis" (no idea how to spell that) patterns that form the outside of the border. The center piece is fruit...6 bunches of purple grapes with leaves on the outside, 6 orange dots, pink apples, and purple plums...(I think...when I found the pattern on Replacements.com it had a close, but different, number. each plate has another # XXXXX the W2831... a couple are 1...some are 11...some 21-25... the one I'm looking at has a D? what's that about?
Expert:  TaxTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello, Can you tell me what the pattern you found was called? Thanks Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did you get my reply about the Replacements.com Pattern Number? ITEM #114592 PATTERN W2891
Expert:  TaxTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello, When I searched for the pattern number I come up with the original link I sent you. I am having trouble finding the item number in Replacements. Can you copy the link and send it to me? Thanks Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry! I hit the wrong button...I have no idea how to copy a link...All I can tell you is that I went to Replacements.com official site...Hit China...Went to W (for Wedgewood) and scrolled down till I came to W2891... That is my china, although the number on my china is different W2831... They did not give a "Name" for the pattern...just the number! Any help? Sally
Expert:  TaxTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm so sorry I thought you were giving me the same number again. I see the pattern you are looking for. My Wedgewood books are at home so I will look tonight and either send you a response tonight or in the morning. Thanks Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Great! The china is not going anywhere! :) By the way, what do you know about the significance of the number or letter below the pattern code? Is this the number or initial of the employee who painted that particular plate? I have a couple that are 0... wonder if that is the first person who painted that particular pattern?? Inquiring minds....
Expert:  TaxTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Most of the design is a decal with the trim painted by hand. It may have been fired again after the decal was applied which gives it the final appearance. My best guess it is a number for the decal itself and or the production line. Many times china would be produced one place and be decorated somewhere else, It was not uncommon for pieces to be made in France or England and decorated in the United States. Thanks Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will your Wedgewood books explain about the "Code"? For example, is "0" England...and why would a very few have the initial? It does look as though the decal (if that is what the Wedgewood "Logo" with Wedgewood and ...they all say 'Made in England" underneath it) are absolutely a "stamp"... While the W2831 and number/initial below that are definately hand painted. Were some of the artists more well known or talented than others?
Where are you answering me from? Sally
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Good Morning Tom!
Just wondering if you had any luck with the Wedgewood research last night... As another "aside"... I may have been incorrect about the replacement plates that my parents purchased in the 40's (without medallions), they may have actually been replaced in the 50's. Also, the new plates have PRAZE on the back, whatever that's worth!?
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Sally
Expert:  TaxTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello, Sorry for the delay but haven't found the pattern yet. I have a friend that is going to bring in her books and see if she has the pattern listed. Thanks Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay! It will be great if you can come up with any info... Thanks, Sally
(still wondering where you guys are located...)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Tom,
Sally with the Wedgewood china questions... Have you dropped the ball on me or is there just no information to be found? Please let me know one way or the other, so I can get this off of my "desktop"... Also, I know you have spent a fair amount of time on this and I would like to accept answer, if that is all you've got... or up the ante if you can get me more detailed info...
Thanks,
Sally
Expert:  TaxTom replied 3 years ago.
Hello, Sorry Sally but I have found no more information on your pattern. You owe me nothing on your question. I enjoyed the challenge and research is never a waste of time I will use the information at some other time. Thanks for the opportunity Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey Tom,
Rats! Is there a way to pass this (loooong) conversation (and all the work you've already put into it) onto another expert? I'll be happy to give you the fee, if you can sic me onto someone who might have the answer!?
P.S.I don't want to hit the Not Satisfied button and put a blot on your record if you can refer me... Thanks, Sally
Expert:  TaxTom replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I have sent your question on to the expert pool and they will be able to read our previous string of questions and answers Thank You Tom
TaxTom, Internet Researcher
Experience: Years of experience of finding questions for employeers, family and friends.