Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

My daughter met a man on line thru Match.com. He is from Spain

My daughter met a man on line thru Match.com. He is from Spain and works in the US and other countries. Is now suppose to be working in London on something to do with the Olympic village there for the next Olympics.

They have been communicating every day for the past two months. For the past month they have talked on the phone every day. How can I find out if he is ligit. Do you do people searches?
Category: General
Expert:  Joan-Mod replied 4 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m a Moderator for JustAnswer.
Thanks for your question!
I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet.
I will go ahead and try to find an Expert to assist you with your question and appreciate your patience. You will receive an email notification when an Expert replies to you, just as you did here.
Please do not reply to this message unless you do not need further help. If that is the case, please let me know and I can assist you with that.
Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also. :)
If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

Best,
Joan
Moderator
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello,Customer and welcome back to JustAnswer!

I don't blame you for being apprehensive and concerned for your daughter, as meeting people online can be a frightening thing. A person can be anyone he wants you to believe he is, online, and it's usually difficult to check. The fact that the Spanish company he said he worked for may be legit, only proves that the company exists, but short of calling the company or writing to them, there would be no way to find out if he actually works for them. While we do not do people searches per sé here, I'd like to make you aware of a common internet 'romance scam', where the person with whom she is communicating may make plans to visit your daughter from a foreign country, and then at the last minute, is prevented from doing so, due to an unexpected situation; either he has been detained by Customs officials, has experienced an 'accident', or may have been 'unjustly' arrested. He will then ask to borrow money to get out of his 'situation', but this is a total fabrication, and no money should be sent under any circumstances.

While I realize you have not mentioned any situation of this type at this time, between your daughter and this man, and while he may be who he says he is and a very nice guy, there is no way to know for sure, unless and until she actually meets him in person and/or is able to fnd out more about him, which is 'checkable' online, through the company he works for, or through some 'official' records.

The main thing to watch out for in the future, is any request for money due to any 'disastrous' situation which may have befallen him or a relative, etc., or money to travel to see/meet your daughter. This is the sure sign of a scammer.

If you or your daughter can check the place he's working now, in London, or further investigate the Spanish company he says he works for, that would be a good next step. Keep in mind though, that he could have 'friends' at the companies who will say they know him and yes, he works there, etc., so even that information may not be particularly true.

My point is not to make you completely cynical, but it's necessary to be untrusting until the person can prove they're trustworthy and are telling the truth about themselves. While your daughter may feel she's gotten know this man well, after communicating with him for 2 months, with the last month speaking on the phone, she should not be revealing very personal information to him until she's more sure of who he actually is.

I hope he turns out to be who he says he is, and a nice person.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback. If you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist