Tyler
Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
21042015
Type Your Question Here...

trying to find the basics of how to buy a handgun in California. Like

trying to find the basics of how to buy a handgun in California.

Like Requirements., Things I need to bring when I purchase a handgun.

Also, since I am a first time handgun buyer would like to know the process of buying a handgun. A walk through of what to expect would be a good answer.

Please only answer if you have bought a gun before or have sold a gun before., thanks.
Category: General
Expert:  Tyler replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question and welcome to Just Answer!

The requirements for purchasing a handgun are pretty simple and straightforward in California.

You must be at least 21 years of age, be a US citizen and have a valid state driver license (or military ID with papers proving you're stationed in CA). You must also obtain a certificate from a Handgun Safety Course (HSC) which is a basic course teaching new gun owners how to safely keep their weapon. The HSC is available and several different accredited locations in CA. You'll often find these at gun shops or gun ranges. The place you purchase your weapon from can recommend several in your area.

There is also a 10 day waiting period to obtain your gun, once you complete the purchase. You do not have to obtain a concealed carry permit to buy the gun, however you would if you planned on carrying it on your person. If you were interested in this, your local gun shop could also give you information on where to obtain this. A CCW permit is issued by the state or county and requires a separate training period, normally less than one day.

There are some disqualifiers that are similar in each state. You cannot purchase a handgun if you are a convicted felon or are addicted to narcotics or dangerous drugs. Before you can complete your gun purchase, a store employee will contact the FBI via phone and verify you are eligible to make the purchase. This takes about 2 minutes and they use your social security number as well as answers to a generalized Y/N questionnaire to verify.

I know this sounds lengthy and time-consuming, but it honestly isn't. Your local gun broker is well versed in all the different facets of purchasing a gun legally and will ensure you have all the info you need to do so (as their license to sell could be in jeopardy if not).

Best of luck and congrats on your forthcoming purchase!

If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. If I have been able to answer your question, please press ACCEPT as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and research. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the info, just a few more questions., Is there a directory that I can search to find a place to take a handgun safety course?

Also have you ever bought a handgun before? I ask because I'm not sure how to approach the handgun dealer without feeling nervous.

.Do I just find out what make and model gun I want and ask to buy it, or is it more complex than that.
Expert:  Tyler replied 4 years ago.
Sure thing. Here's a list provided by the state that shows who provides the HSC.

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo.php#Entities

Yes, I have purchased several guns before, as I used to be a police officer. Don't be nervous when talking to a dealer. Let them know you're a new gun owner and don't have much knowledge. They'll ask you what purpose you need the gun for in order to find the right fit for you. There is no reason to feel scared or nervous about legally purchasing a handgun! There are different features, sizes, calibers, etc. to each gun, and your dealer can help you find the one right for you.

Experience: B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.