Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
Type Your Question Here...

I sold an item and the buyer is saying she didnt get it what

I sold an item and the buyer is saying she didn't get it what do I do?
Hi, thanks for your question!

Could you give me a bit more information please?
Was this item part of an eBay auction? Did you purchase insurance on the package when you sent it? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to your response.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes it was two cell phones that I sold on an e-bay auction. She e-mailed me and said that the post office said the package was open when they got it and all that was in there was the chargers and sent those back to me. I didn't purchase insurance because she didn't ask for it but I guess that was my mistake. I did purchase my postage online and have a tracking number and it shows it was delivered to her.
Thanks for your reply. Bear with me because the process is somewhat complicated. EBay has certain features in place to help prevent theft and fraud from its buyers and sellers. It is normally not the responsibility of the shipper to pay for insurance as it is normally offered for big ticket items as an add on to the shipping cost the buyer pays. If the buyer declined insurance during the check-out procedure that's something that will better protect you.

Here's some information from eBay regarding what to do in these circumstances, both from the buyer's and seller's perspective:

I can certainly understand your view, as it sounds like you did everything by getting a tracking number and verifying the item showed delivered. It doesn't sound right that the post office would simply hand over an opened package to a customer, especially considering the commonality of theft in such a business. Your best bet is to contact the post office and file a claim for lost merchandise. You can contact them at(NNN) NNN-NNNNor 800-ASK-USPS. They're open until 8:30 PM Easter time. Communicate with your buyer and let them know you're actively working to correct the issue. When you call the USPS, ask their policies regarding reimbursement for lost or stolen items. You may not get any assistance though if no value was declared and no insurance was purchased. If the buyer files a case with eBay you will be immediately contacted. Provide them with the tracking information and any supporting material that shows your items were indeed delivered. Of course, you want to make every customer happy, but you also have to keep in mind your buyer may be trying to scam you. Best wishes!

If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. If I have been able to answer your question, please press ACCEPT as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and research. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!