10cowife
10cowife, Consultant
Experience:  15+ years consulting
42616663
Type Your Question Here...

Where can I find someone to translate from 18th C Latin an

Customer Question

Where can I find someone to translate from 18th C Latin an Appeal document ? 6 pages of A4 but the typeface is large. How much would this cost ?
Category: General
Expert:  10cowife replied 6 years ago.
Hello! Thanks for using JustAnswer.

This is most likely much more in depth than your average online free translation capabilities! However, I found an article that may interest you.

Have you seen this information on latin translation? There is a section in this article that references an online latin translation service by specialists.

Perhaps they could translate the 18th C Latin Appeal document. There was a dialog box to upload your document and choose "specialist" for the translation method.

The article is located here:

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/latinlearning/f/TranslateLatin.htm

The translation service is located here:

www.appliedlanguage.com

They can give you a free quote and let you know if they can help you.

Hope this info gets you on your way!

Sincerely,
Lizabeth
10cowife
10cowife, Consultant
Experience: 15+ years consulting
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am not altogether happy with this suggestion. The site you suggest is focussed on CLASSICAL Latin. What I have is an Appeal in 18th C LEGAL Latin and the document is, moreover, full of abbreviations of legal formulaic terms. A Classicist may be able to give me the - for example - First Century meaning of the word but not its equivalent in MODERN legalese. I don't just need to know the basic meaning of the word - Lewis & short can give me that!

I need a LEGAL HISTORIAN, probably someone like a retired professor from a University Department with time on his / her hands!

Expert:  10cowife replied 6 years ago.
Hi,Customer--

Thank you for responding back to me. I am more than happy to opt out to see if another expert can help you with this question. I will do so immediately.

I do want to also indicate that aside from visiting universities or cold calling to find someone to translate for you, I felt the website was the BEST option for you to find a specialist otherwise.

Let me open up the question so that other experts can respond to perhaps answer the question to your satisfaction!

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Sincerely,
Lizabeth
10cowife
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you. Please put my question back into the melting pot. BMGI

Expert:  TaxTom replied 6 years ago.
Hello, Have you tried the local church monasteries in your area. If you need help finding a monastery send me your location and I will see what I can find. Also many universities have Latin experts that can help, again if you want me to find someone let me know your location. Thank You Tom