M.Arch
M.Arch, Researcher, Artist, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect, Artist, Collector, Former Design College Faculty, Ivy League Masters.
13403057
Type Your Question Here...

why do airport charge taf travelers allowance fee

Category: General
Expert:  John Henderson replied 4 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is "taf"?

XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
dose united kingdom immigrant  services charge T.A. F. fees travelers allowance fees you paid this . then when you arive in u.s you get money back it"s like a bond  # XXXXX how could you due  a backround  check on someone living in united kingdom (london)

I am at a loss for an explanation of the TAF. If you can give me the name of the airport charging the fee, I can possibly contact them for an explanation. As for your other query (which should be in a separate post) in the US we have online agencies that specialize in just that, background checks. like CheckPoint, Nexis Lexis etc. I do not know the laws regarding such in the UK, but a private investigation service could be useful.

www.safeworkers.co.uk/CriminalBackgroundChecks.html

www.experian.co.uk/background-checking/background-checking.html

www.abika.com/Reports/InternationalBackgroundchecks.htm

I hope these help,

XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The united kingdom immigrant office (people) are charging the fee T.A. F i was told it is refundable . when you get to the u.s is this true travelers allowance fee

Hi again...

In my research, it appears that this is a sort of bond or insurance policy that tells the immigration service that the visa you got for travel is going to be used for the intended purpose. Example: If you get a student visa and actually come over to get married or to work, they are covered for the cost of discrepancy. This is based on information found on the internet and is not offered as legal advise with regard to immigration laws. If you need a more specific answer, please re-post to our Immigration Law specialist. Otherwise, please hit the ACCEPT button.

XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

flying from united kingdom to u,s what do they need passport or visa if your planing on marriage . it should say that then correct. what else we need plus T.A. F money

Everyone traveling internationally must have a passport or visa. It would be wise for you to contact your local immigration office. You won't even be able to get on the plane without a passport or visa.

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  M.Arch replied 4 years ago.
I want to make sure that you are aware that requests for a "TAF" (Traveler's Allowance Fee) or "BTA" (Basic Travel Allowance) are most often part of a widespread type of internet fraud.
Usually this is part of a "Romance Scam" type of scenario, in which someone strikes up an online romance, eventually promises to visit in person, and then asks the victim to forward this TAF money.
There are some other variations on the scam, in which the travel is for purposes related to promises of a job, an inheritance, lottery winnings, etc. etc. - but they are all basically the same thing.

Typically once the TAF or BTA money is wired, the scammer will contact the victim with a new story about a family or medical emergency that prevents his/her travel (and that usually requires additional funds for "emergency surgery" or the like.)

There is no legitimate requirement for a TAF or BTA to travel from the UK to the US.
Now, it is true that an applicant for a travel visa may in some cases be required to prove sufficient funds to support themselves while in the country they are visiting - but this is never in the form of a lump sum shown at the time of travel or at the time of an interview for a visa! Accepted proof of one's ability to support oneself is generally in the form of pay stubs, bank account history (not just a recent deposit of a large sum), and/or in some cases an "affidavit of support" from the inviting side.
If the person who will be traveling is someone known in person to you then perhaps this affidavit of support is what is being requested. In this case you would not actually be wiring funds - you would be submitting a notarized statement that you will be this person's means of support while he or she is in this country.

But in the event that you have already wired somebody a lump sum for an FTA or BTA, and/or if you have provided personal identification of any sort, you should report this to local law enforcement, and to the applicable entity for reporting internet crimes in your region - because it is very likely that this is a scam.
Your best course of action if this is indeed a scam will be to cease all communication with these scammers immediately. If you are located in the US, you can also contact the Internet Crime Complaint Center: http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx to report the scam. If you have already sent any funds you should also report the scam to your local law enforcement officials.

As for the type of visa required for someone traveling from the UK to the US for the purpose of marriage: this is a K-1 "Fiancee Visa".

I hope that this information is helpful, and if so that you will please click the green "ACCEPT" icon as this is the only way that I can be paid for my answer through JustAnswer.
Thank you.

Edited by M.Arch on 7/5/2010 at 9:27 PM EST
M.Arch, Researcher, Artist, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect, Artist, Collector, Former Design College Faculty, Ivy League Masters.