Lori, Research Analyst
Experience:  General Information and Online Research
Type Your Question Here...

My parents baked me a nice cake for my birthday, however since

My parents baked me a nice cake for my birthday, however since it was decorated with M&Ms (my favorite) I am the only one at my house that can eat it. My roommate is allergic to nuts (that rules out the M&Ms). My family does not have food allergies so remembering little details like that is something we are not used to. I also did not know anything about the cake. The cake has been in the refriderator. I have been eating it. I am taking some with me to work. I put some in the freezer. My question is does cake freeze well and if so how do I thaw it for those times I have a craving for cake?
Category: General
Expert:  Lori replied 6 years ago.

Yes, cake freezes well. In this case, I would slice the cake before freezing, use one sheet of wax paper around it first, and then double wrap each slice in plastic wrap. On top of that, use foil wrap. This should keep it in excellent condition. Defrost in the refrigerator for a while before eating and it should be as good as they day you froze it. Making sure the pieces are well-wrapped and sealed is the most important part of the process.

Please let me know if I can help further!

Edited by Lori on 6/28/2010 at 1:44 PM EST