M.Arch
M.Arch, Researcher, Artist, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect, Artist, Collector, Former Design College Faculty, Ivy League Masters.
13403057
Type Your Question Here...

How many Americans take vacation each year on avg And for

How many Americans take vacation each year on avg?
And for how many days?
Category: General
Expert:  M.Arch replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer and thank you for your question.

US Labor Department statistics show that the average employed american takes 8 days of vacation per year, not including national holidays, and that there are approximately 146,743,000 employed americans at any given moment, out of 153,516,000 americans in the workforce (i.e. at any given time some of these people are not currently working for any number of reasons.)

Of course, of the 146,743,000 employed people, some will not take any vacation at all while others will take substantially more than 8 days. 8 days is just the average.

I hope this information is helpful, and if so that you will please click the green "ACCEPT" icon as this is the only way that I can be paid for my answer through JustAnswer.
Thank you.

p.s. - on your search for a model headshot portraying "worried" - I posted several more options yesterday evening. Please have a look and see if any of those fit the bill.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you give me any idea of how many people do not take any vacation?
And then if we avg those that do take vacation only, how many days would that be?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
For the photo question -
Can't answer YOU as someone else jumped in, when I click answer expert, it replied to the other guy. I accepted YOUR answer though, did it go through?

Here is my response - I like these much better than the others one I have rec'd.
Can you send me link for the first one with the red hair, the third one which has a red shirt, and the 4th one - pink shirt, 6th - blond, and 7th one - leaning on her desk.
Expert:  M.Arch replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the accepts - on this and the photo question. Yes, the accept on the other question did go through to me.

I'll work on finding the links for all those photos.
Unfortunately, because that other expert intervened, he currently has an exclusive lock on the question and I can't answer it until that expires.
I've directed that problem to customer service, and I'll answer you as soon as I can!

Well, I cannot find any good data on exactly how many people take no vacation days at all. I did find a 2009 survey that found that 34% of Americans did not use at least some of their vacation days. I also found some research that states that the average American worker gets 12 days of vacation per year.
This will get us precisely the answer that you're looking for - but I'm not finding a source for anything more specific about just exactly how much vacation is taken by people who do take vacation.

I can opt out if you like, so that other experts can see what they can find.

Edited by M.Arch on 6/27/2010 at 2:24 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you send me the link to the info about the 34% who do not use any vacation days? That will work.
Expert:  M.Arch replied 6 years ago.
SureCustomer here's a link to an article at Business Insider that cites that 34% figure, from a 2009 Expedia survey:
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-take-vacation-time-without-feeling-guilty-2010-6