Jesse Handel
Jesse Handel, Scientist
Experience:  B.S. Degree Chem. & Bact. 7 yrs tax preparation.
9660727
Type Your Question Here...

i was at a catholic wake and the priest read a reading from

Customer Question

i was at a catholic wake and the priest read a reading from saint john the evangalist.
it was not from the bible. it went sonthing like 'when i was a child i ............and i loved,
when i was young i.......and i loved. when i was old i.......and i loved.......could you tell me where this came from???and who said it?? if not saint john ..and i want the whole quote..
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

This is from 1 Corinthians 13:11. The entire passage (from the standard English Bible) is:

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love."

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry this is not what iam looking for..it is not from the bible....
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
The only quotes we have from St. John are in the Bible. The above quote is in his letters to the Corinthians. Anything the priest may have used would be based on this. There have been some poems written based on the quote. due to copyright laws, I can't print them here. However, here is a link to one of the more popular ones:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/452308/rousing_inspirational_poems_of_a_stirring.html

At this site, you can click on different versions of the Bible to read slight variations of the passage:

http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

I'm virtually certain that the origin of this quote is St. John's letters to the Corinthians. If used by a priest at a cAtholic wake, that is where it would have been obtained. However, if you're still not satisfied with this information, let me know, and we'll go from there.

Anna
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry anna i know the quote you gave me.noit what iam looking for...

maybee its not from st. john.. the evangalist.....should have paid more attention but it was at a bad time...it was noooooot from the bible......

Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
If you're certain it wasn't from the bible, it was probably one of the numerous poems written that have been based on the quote. I suggest that you call the rectory of the parish where you attended the wake. The priest would be able to tell you exactly where he got the quote.

Since I haven't been able to help you, I'm going to opt out of your question. That opens it to other experts who may be familiar with the quote. Please do not click on accept until you receive an answer you're satisfied with.

Anna
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks anna.....i didnt think it was goin to be this tough.....
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
You wouldn't think so, would you? I want you to know I searched through actual books of quotations, as well as online, and nothing else came up. That's why I opted out - I had reached the limits of what I could do. I hope someone else can help you, or that you'll be able to contact the priest. Good luck with it!

Anna
Expert:  Jesse Handel replied 4 years ago.

Hello JACUSTOMER-35s9e1mk. Thank you for coming to Just Answer and allowing us to help you with your question.

Anna has given you a correct full quotation for the source of the reading that you heard. I have heard different wordings of the quotation you were looking for. The confusion may be based on the fact that different bibles (different translations) have slightly different wording. The version that you heard may have been from the King James Bible, the New English Bible, the Living Bible, the New Geneva Bible, etc. I don't know how many different translations have been published, but I have seen five or six different ones myself. Also, some church texts (such as the Anglican prayer book) also include parts of biblical quotations. Her answer is correct, but to find the exact quote that you heard, you will need to contact the priest and find out what source he used. You may also go to a library or bookstore and look for the citation Anna has provided in different versions of the bible.

If you choose to accept an answer based on this information, please accept Anna's answer and not mine. I just wanted to clarify why the wording she quoted was slightly different than what you remember, but the citation will allow you to look at the same passage in different bibles until you find the wording that matches your memory.

Jesse Handel, Scientist
Experience: B.S. Degree Chem. & Bact. 7 yrs tax preparation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

this is not what i heard.......i kwown i could call the priest but it was all out of town

i dont know the name.....i will try to find the right answer.....thanks anyhow....not a

happy camper......

Expert:  Tyler replied 4 years ago.

I want to weigh in on this question as well. I also agree with Anna, the passage of scripture she has quoted you is indeed exactly what you are looking for. I have been a church musician for many years and heard this scripture at just about every wedding I play for. Perhaps you were thinking of something else but only remember this scripture. You should contact the priest who will tell you indeed this is what you are looking for.