Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Cher you are Great! Please translate this Japanese Budo phase

Toka or Toku Yuke Tachino Michi
It could mean Go now or Go, Don't go. The Budo student is expected to focus on what he/she is doing and not give in to distraction - or something like that.
Hi again, Chuck, and thanks for requesting me!

Please give me a short while to get this translation to you.

Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No problem. I am relying on my class notes, which are a bit sketchy. - Thanks
Hi again, Chuck and thanks so much for your patience.

I had trouble finding this entire phrase, "Toka or Toku Yuke Tachino Michi", because 'toka or toku yuke' are not found as Japanese words, so perhaps your notes were incorrect or you rushed to write them so these words were spelled incorrectly. However, 'Tachino Michi' may be a reference to a quote by Musashi Miyamoto, a famous Samurai, regarding swordsmanship, so it may be related to the 'focus/concentration without distraction' you mentioned being important for the Budo student.

If you have read "The Book of Five Rings" by Miyamoto, you would have seen this reference; if not, you might be interested in reading it. It is a text on Kenjutsu and the martial arts in general, written by the samurai warrior, around 1645.
Here is more info:

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback. If you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,

Edited by Cher on 6/10/2010 at 7:09 AM EST