Northwest Andrew
Northwest Andrew, Expert
Experience:  Experienced Retail Business Manager & Information Technology Professional
Type Your Question Here...

What is meaning of the lion and the lamb I know it is from

What is meaning of "the lion and the lamb"? I know it is from the Bible, but that is all I know.

The Lion and the Lamb both take on different biblical meanings depending on the context used. The Lion is often used as a metaphor for strength, power, and might and is often depicted in a negative (but sometimes positive) light.

The Lamb is a metaphor for kindness, giving, sacrificing, innocence, etc. and provided food (a source of meat) and clothing (wool) and was seen as a "protector" of sorts and depicted as good. The Lamb is referenced often in various texts.

In a biblical since God is seen as mighty and powerful like the lion and but kind and giving like the Lamb. The Lion and the Lamb share qualities that are considered virtuous in humans and particularly in leadership. One should be kind and generous (like the Lamb) but also know when to discipline (like the Lion).

The Lion and the Lamb when used together is also symbolism for harmony and togetherness as otherwise the Lion would eat the Lamb.

I appreciate the opportunity to serve you. If you have found this information helpful then please click the "accept" button. Consider leaving feedback as well to insure our experts are providing quality information to our customers.

Edited by Northwest Andrew on 6/4/2010 at 8:36 PM EST